Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need help to intrepret ASME code for NDT
- - By Boon (**) Date 04-20-2007 02:58
When NDT (liquid penetrant examination) operator inspecting weld is certified to ASNT Level II, is he qualified to inspect in accordance with ASME code, section V, articles 6,24 and section VIII, apendix 8.

How should we intrepret the difference between ASNT and ASME code. Where can I find some details on ASME code.

Regards
Boon
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-20-2007 03:58
You have to read ASME Section V and compare the two standards relative to qualification and certification. If I remember correctly, ASME accepts SNT-TC-1A and CP-189. I'm not sure about ACCP and I'm about ready to hit the hay.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-20-2007 11:49
Al, ASME not only accepts SNT-TC-1a, it specifies that it be used as the basis for NDE qualification, this applies to both written practice and technican qualification.  In my opinion, if an NDE Technician is qualified in accordance with ASNT SNT-TC-1a they are qualified to work within ASME Rules.  ASME V as you mention discusses methodology.  Certain editions of ASME have not recognized CP-189 as of yet.
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 04-20-2007 15:12
The general requirements of Section VIII Div 1 only reference appendix 8 of section VIII be applied for liquid penetrant.  Appendex 8 is the accept / reject criteria and also says that Article 6 of section V applies for NDT procedure stuff and qualification.  In Article 6 of Section V, it says that Article 1 (General Requirements) of section V shall also apply.  Article 1 of Sect V requires that the nondestrutive examination personnel be qualified to either:

1.  SNT-TC-1A
2.  ANSI/ASNT CP-189
3.  ACCP - ASNT Central Certification Program

So for liquid penetrant to Sect. VIII div 1, the NDT tech should be qualified to one of the above.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Need help to intrepret ASME code for NDT