Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Grades of structural steel
- - By marlon stevens Date 04-22-2007 03:05
Is there anyone who can explain to me what the A stands for with regards to A36 steel?
Parent - By Gunther Date 04-23-2007 14:43
Marlon

Steel products can be identified by the number of the ASTM specification to which they are made. The number consists of the letter A (for ferrous materials) and an arbitrary, serially assigned number.

Here is a link that explains the numbering systems for steel quite well.

http://www.key-to-steel.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&LN=RU&NM=64

Gunther
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2007 04:14
Hello Marion;

Short of going to the web page referenced by Gunther, ASTM uses the prefix letter A to indicate ferrous metals and the letter B to indicate nonferrous metals. ASME uses the prefix SA fopr ferrous metals and SB for nonferrous metals.

As stated by the other respondent, in general the numbers have no meaning. It is just a coincident that A36 carbon steel has a yield strength of 36,000 psi. You have to refer to the ASTM standards to find out what the mechanical properties are of the material in question. Many base metal specifications contain several alloys that have different strength levels that are indicated by grades or classes. Two examples would be ASTM A572 Gr 50 and A53 Grade B. In the case of ASTM A572 grade 50, the grade 50 indicates the yield strength is 50,000 psi and the tensile strength is 65,000 psi. ASTM A53 Grade B is carbon steel pipe that has a yield strenght of 35,000 psi and a tensile strenght of 60,000 psi. As you can see, in the examples listed, the number of the material specification doesn't tell you much. You have to read the material specification contained in the ASTM standard to find out all the information about the materil.

Another good example is ASTM A312. That specification covers stainless steel pipe and contains the chemistry and properties of the common austenitic stainless steel alloys such as 304, 316, 321, etc. All of the alloy grades have different chemistries, i.e., % of chrome, % of nickel, % of carbon, etc, but they are all contained in specification A312.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-24-2007 04:25
Keep in mind that A36 doesn't have a yield strength of 36,000 psi. It has a MINIMUM ys of 36,000 psi. Actual values may exceed the minimum by quite a lot. Same goes for all other grades, flavors and colors of steel materials.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-24-2007 06:55
A36 has a design maximum stress of 36 kips per square inch in elastic design.  That is .6 of the actual yield strength which is generally taken as 60 kips per square inch.  Elastic design at .6 of yield is one of the safety factors required by the steel construction code.
Bill
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-24-2007 14:33
Bill,
Could you explain that a little more. When I read A36 I see 36ksi yield point min. I can't see how that fits with what you are saying. And the 36 yield point is ~.6 of the minimum specified 'tensile' strength of 58ksi. Is this a ASTM/AISC language barrier?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2007 14:59
I'm with js55 on this one.

36,000 psi is the minimum yield strength as published by ASTM for A36. The minimum tensile strength is 58,000 psi.

What you are saying is on the right track for AISC, but I think there may be a typo in your response.

The maximum allowable stress would be based on the allowables permitted by the applicable design code. For instance, for the design of a machine base that is limiting deflection may have an allowable stress on the order of 5,000 psi, whereas the allowable stress per an ASME construction code (Section I, Section VIII, etc. ) is a function of the base metal and design temperature. Those values will be considererably different from those permitted by AISC for a structure subject to static loads or one subject to cyclic loading.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-25-2007 03:48
Never mind- it's been a while since I read those books.  Fy for A36 steel is indeed 36000 psi.  Interestingly that is exactly .6 of 60000. 
Moral- always look up the facts  before you start typing.
Bill
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 11:36
No, no, it's not that easy. Any reply that makes the rest of us put on our thinking caps and makes us dig a little deeper is a beneficial reply. We all learn a little bit more than we would have.

You made me go back to the books and dig deeper than I would have with the simple 36 ksi yield and 58 ksi tensile answer that I started with.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 14:14
So did I. Hence, my quote from the spec. My memory is to grizzled to have pulled that up without help.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Grades of structural steel