Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Repair
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-22-2007 21:32
Hello guys,
Can someone help with advice or direction please.
Is there anything in API 650 / ASME IX that governs repair welding using different processes.
Specifically SMAW repair welding over EGW, SAW and FCAW-SS original welds.
The contractor has a qualified WPS for SMAW single vee butt welding but does not have a specific repair procedure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-22-2007 22:17
ASME IX permits a combination of welding procedures to be used to make a weld and they may be qualified either separately or in combination.  A SMAW repair of a weld made with another process is permissible.  Requalification is not required for repairing welds made with another process.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-22-2007 23:10
Thanks Marty,
The basis for my original question was whether a procedure had to be specific to the repair. The contractor has just got a note on each WPS that any repairs must be carried out in accordance with a SMAW single vee butt WPS. It was my opinion that this gives no guidance to the welder in terms of excavation, rewelding, retesting etc.
Was just wondering if this was governed by the code/codes.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 04-22-2007 23:52
I haven't run across a case where those activities were specifically required by a code to be addressed on a WPS, except that method of preparation and joint details must be addressed.  Typically, excavation, cavity preparation, NDE to verify removal, rewelding and final testing are addressed per the company's quality manual, such as on a weld traveler, a detailed "repair instruction" which references the WPS, or a supplemental sheet attached to a WPS.
Parent - - By nosetackle (**) Date 04-23-2007 04:03
Shane, MBSims

You are quite right, excavation, cavity preparation, NDE verification of removal of defect, rewelding and post weld NDE are generally mentioned in quality manual or specification for welding. Each WPS is also qualified for its own repairs. may be it makes  life easier if it is mentioned this in WPS. i think to prepare a special WPS for repair is not so practical. After excavation and cavity preparation, the shape&depth  of weld groove can not be predicted. So it is better to assume it as fillet weld.

regards

T,
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2007 20:22
Hello Nosetackle,

" Each WPS is also qualified for its own repairs"

Thank you for your response but the original question was whether an SMAW repair procedure was required for repair welding on welds produced with different processes eg. EGW, SAW, FCAW-S etc.
Nominating a single vee buttweld WPS as the repair procedure does not assist the welder who is performing the repair.
The other thing that concerns me is an excerpt from a Lincoln Datasheet regarding intermixing.
" When Innershield ( FCAW-S) weld deposits are intermixed with weld deposits from other welding processes, a decrease in weld metal Charpy V-notch toughness properties may occur."
Would this not be sufficient justification to require a specific qualified repair procedure if you were going to intermix SMAW with FCAW-S ?
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-23-2007 20:27
Shane, I'm with Marty.  There is nothing specific in any Code (to my knowledge) that prohibits using one process in lieu of another... It should be the Engineer who specifies a repair and one would "hope" the Engineer would be knowlegable enough to specify a proper WPS for repairs... obviously, in most cases one may not want to use Submerged Arc for doing repairs on piping systems but I wouldn't see any problem doing an SMAW over FCAW or vice versa... just my opinion.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-23-2007 21:03
Shane,
If your service specification doesn't require qualification with impacts I wouldn't worry too much about the loss of toughness by welding over FCAW-S. The loss of toughness would be a concern were your service to be siesmic or low temp.
And consistent with Jon, the Engineer should be responsible for notification if impacts are required.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-23-2007 23:41
Thanks guys,
We are governed by specifications that leave a lot to be desired and are pretty much chasing our tails.
There is a new drama that seems to appear everyday and it is becoming increasingly difficult to ensure contractor compliance when the specs are full of holes,
Thanks again and have a great day,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Weld Repair