Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fall Protection
- - By jules Date 02-28-2001 21:22
I do welding inspections on structural steel that require walking on beams and working near edges on buildings. I cannot find out what the fall protection requirements are according to OSHA for a welding inspector. I have called them and received different answers from different people. Subsection M does not say anything about inspecting. If anyone can be of help in this matter, I sure could use it. Thanks for your time. Mike
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-28-2001 22:18
Why don't you try contacting your nearest OSHA office? Here in Maine the local office is very helpful.
Are you working for a company? If so your management is required to administer safety policies and is required to train you. Your company could be in for major trouble if they don't.
Are you a freelance inspector? If so, then you can pretty well figure that any safety policies you see other companies doing you need to do as well. Walking steel without fall protection is not a good idea.
If your situation is such that you are being asked to inspect after the ironworkers have dragged up, the building owner is responsible to coordinate with you to assure reasonable and safe access to the work and must be in compliance with OSHA rules.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 02-28-2001 22:22
Why don't you try contacting your nearest OSHA office? Here in Maine the local office is very helpful.
Are you working for a company? If so your management is required to administer safety policies and is required to train you. Your company could be in for major trouble if they don't.
Are you a freelance inspector? If so, then you can pretty well figure that any safety policies you see other companies doing you need to do as well. Walking steel without fall protection is not a good idea.
If your situation is such that you are being asked to inspect after the ironworkers have dragged up, the building owner is responsible to coordinate with you to assure reasonable and safe access to the work and must be in compliance with OSHA rules. By all means, you should find these things out before you do the job. It literally could mean your life.
CHGuilford

Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-01-2001 00:38
Osha has a website with search capabilities that work pretty well. Try http://www.osha.gov/.

I thought that the standards for fall protection were nearly the same for all crafts involved in steel erection. If you find anything out let me know.

Have a nice Day

Gerald Austin

Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-01-2001 00:43
I imagine you would want the same protection as everyone else at any elevation. I tie off whenever possible, I also use 2 lanyards if I have an obstacle to get around (100% tie-off). I am not concerned (to a point) what other trades are doing to ensure their safety. If you have ever attended any safety seminars or training on the subject, you'll find most falls that result in death are at relatively low elevations. I tie off if other trades do so or not.

I have had ironworkers test my fear of heights and place me at the center of a truss 60' off the deck without anything to tie off to. I resumed my inspections with just a little more vigor afterwards (by the code of course). While this may not be ethically the right way to get their attention, it worked.

Some projects require that you attend some harness or fall protection courses or training, I found them quite usefull even though I've attended these courses in the past. How much is your life worth to you? A safety belt will save you, but you'll probably spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair after the back injury occurs with this type of device. Caution should be exercised in zoom booms or any lifting equipment as well.

Spend the $$ Mike and buy a good, full body harness that is easy to get in and out of, and an extra lanyard with the shock absorbers so you'll live to discuss this issue in the future. Take Care.
Parent - - By jules Date 03-02-2001 17:20
I want to thank everyone for their responses. I have talked to osha numerous times and received different answers. What I am looking for is where in the osha regulations does it address fall protection for workers other than ironworkers. I am not sure inspectors fall under Subsection M.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-03-2001 02:23
Notice below that the scope of subpart M indicates coverage for a workplace and not a specific craft. I interpret the subpart to apply to all construction workplaces. There are specific requirements for steel erection but they are indicated as separate within the text of 1926.500

Scope of Subpart M

This subpart sets forth requirements and criteria for fall protection in construction workplaces covered under 29 CFR part 1926. Exception: The provisions of this subpart do not apply when employees are making an inspection, investigation, or assessment of workplace conditions prior to the actual start of construction work or after all construction work has been completed.

I hope this helps

100% tie off is better than .0000001% die off.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Fall Protection