Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Miscellaneous Steel Fabrication shop certification
- - By TomD (*) Date 04-24-2007 17:33
I work in the bridge construction industry.  We require shops to be certified by AISC to fabricate bridge members.  Is there a companion program for miscellaneous structural steel such as sign structures and such?  Thanks for your help.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-24-2007 18:31
AISC does not have such a cert, that I'm aware of. the only organization that i know of that offers that cert is cal trans.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-24-2007 19:14
AWS does have a certification program for small shops.  Information is available on the web site.
It is not easy to get, and it is very comprehensive. 
The AWS Certification Department can send you materials on how to get started.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-04-2007 03:00
Mr. Kane is this ( http://www.aws.org/w/a/certification/FAB/ )what your speaking of? My employer looked into it and decided that the ISO 9000 and 1400 series certifications were Equivalent and did not see justification in pursuing.  Myself, I Just want AWS's name on my job, oh well i'll just settle with on my certifications:)
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-04-2007 12:04
Yes, This is what I was referring to.  I am told that if you already have an AISC Fabricator certification, you and get the AWS Certification without going through the whole audit process.  This is the only way I know to get AWS's name on your job.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-03-2007 22:35
AISC is working on a "component" certification but I think it'll be a couple of years before it's out.

Hg
Parent - By ziggy (**) Date 07-16-2007 02:13 Edited 10-29-2009 07:25
might have a copy on their website

ziggy
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Miscellaneous Steel Fabrication shop certification