Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Sections / Section 41: Puget Sound Olympic / Any Navy welders In Puget Sound?
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-24-2007 20:06
Would I be correct in thinking some of you Puget Sounders are or were Navy welders and inspectors? or have crossed paths with Navy welders & inspectors?   On the chance that some of you are, I'll throw this slightly embarassing situation out there and ask for any of your thoughts on the problem....

We gave a new welder a performance test for GTAW on S-1 base material. The only thing is, our foreman set him up with A-36 plates but had him weld with an ER100S-1 filler (which is in the A-5B group). Welds NDT'ed good and we sent the plates out for RT. I expect the results will come back satisfactory because this kid has a good AWS background. Anyway, to my question......I'm looking at Table III in Navy standard S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 (page 67/68) and I see that the test we gave our man would qualify him for GTAW on most varieties of S-11 to S-11 plus some S-11 to S-1 and S-11 to S-2.  But I don't see where we can legitimately say he is cross qualified for S-1 to S-1.  The embarassing part is that we do very little work with the HY or HSLA steels, which seems to be mostly what S-11 group consists of.  

Any thoughts on what to do to save time and cost of having our guy do a re-test?
Thank for your interest and advice.
Tom
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 19:26
Tom;

I'm fortunate enough to work with a retired naval officer, I asked him your question and he responded, with verification from an associate of his as follows:

Table III IN NAVY STANDARD S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 IS FOR WELDING PROCEDURE CROSS-QUALIFICATION, NOT WELDER QUALIFICATION. WELDER QUALIFICATION GROUPINGS ARE IN TABLE VIII.
HE IS QUALIFIED TO WELD S1 TO S1 WITH 70S-1-6 AND MORE.

Further:

Table III in Navy standard S9074-AQ-GIB-010/248 is for welding procedure cross-qualification, not welder qualification. Welder qualification groupings are in Table VIII.

He is qualified to weld S1 to S1 with 70S-1-6 and more.

I hope this helps.  Your question may be answered quicker (for future reference) if you posted in the Technical Forum.

Regards,

Jon
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 04-27-2007 16:18
Thanks Jon and thank your friend's friend.
That Table VIII is the most confusing I have ever seen because paragraph 5.2.5 seems to allow the use of any S-1 material if evaluation is by radiography. So let's say I wanted to qualify a welder for Hy steels (in the S-11 group) where an A-5B filler would be appropriate - then by Note 5.2.5, I should be able to use the A-5B filler on an S-1 material. If the weld is checked by RT then this welder should be qualified to weld the S-11 group.

If this were not the case, why would Table VIII and Para. 5.2.5 exist?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 18:43
Tom, here's what I was told:

In the Navy welder qualification system they allow you to qualify by process and filler as long as the evaluation is by radiography.

This means that you can qualify to weld with 308L filler material using A53 base material.

Hope this helps,

Jon
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 12:05
Tom, here's a follow up on this subject, from my friend.

In the Navy welder qualification system they allow you to qualify by process and filler as long as the evaluation is by radiography.

This means that you can qualify to weld with 308L filler material using A53 base material.

By the way, this is very similar to ASME Section IX however ASME IX doesn't mandate RT.
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 05-07-2007 16:20
OK Jon-

Now i think I'm getting this! Could you ask your Navy buddy the following, as a check on my understanding?

If I test using a SMAW 10018 filler (in the A-5B group) on A-36 plate (in the S-1 Base Mat'l Group) and RT shows good,  then I am now qualified to weld any Base metals in Groups S-1, S-2, S-3, S-4, S-5, S-6 AND S-11 using fillers from Groups A-1B, A-2B, A-3B, A-6B, A-7B and A-5B (as long as fillers are appropriate for the joint and the service).

Is this the correct understanding for welder performance qualification testing?

Thanks and thanks again to your friend.
best regards to them and you.
Tom
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-24-2007 00:47
Tom, if you want to check on this yourself, go to the ASSIST website and check the following:

MIL-STD-1688
MIL-STD-1689
MIL-STD-274

You'll get a good idea of the Navy's qualification system for most applications.  I can't remember all the standards right off the top of my head, but I think the -274 is the qualification standard.
Parent - - By ryans Date 02-29-2008 22:16
I am a former Hull Welder for Electric Boat and I agree with Tom. The test givin to your welder would qualify him
Parent - - By tom cooper (**) Date 03-12-2008 12:08
Hi Ryan-
Thanks for the input.   Since you are a veteran Hull welder, let me ask you this question on quarterly maintenence; if I qualify on HY-80, -100 (Group S-11A) by GMAW and SMAW, but do not touch any HY for years BUT maintain quarterly practice in GMAW and/or SMAW on other S-1 & S-4 alloys, am I still qualified for S-11A HY welds when a future job comes in?  

Similarly, if I qualify on 120S filler & 12018 electrode, and never use either, but maintain quarterly practice in GTAW & SMAW on other wire/rods, am I still qualifed to use 120S filler & 12018 electrode when a future job comes in?

Thanks Ryan, I hope you see this.
Tom
Parent - - By ryans Date 04-01-2008 19:48
I believe but may be incorrect that yes, as long as the welding is documented you will maintain qualification. The testing for those materials is the same as with any. It is to show evidence that the welder is capable of producing a sound weld in the position welded. In fact the qualification test for HY80 is usually done with mild steel. This is only from my experience however. I would spend months on end welding on A36 or A52 and still maintain my qualification for Ballistic Hull based on the fact that I was still in practice with the processes.
Parent - By yduocsaigon Date 10-11-2018 08:29
:confused::confused: realy ?
- By BERNIESWELDING Date 10-20-2011 18:08
when i worked at long beach naval shipyard in california we did everything to milspec as per navsea. i would suggest call PSNS and ask to speak to someone in the welding engineering department and they could give you all the current answers that meet the everything that is current.

BERNIE
SPOKANE,WA.
Up Topic Sections / Section 41: Puget Sound Olympic / Any Navy welders In Puget Sound?