Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need crash course
- - By r0ck574r Date 04-27-2007 00:54
i am a country club maint. worker looking to make more money in the scrapyard/ salvage business,..i have an interview in a few days to a week or so from now ,..they require me to pass a tourch test,..i believe this place uses oxy fuel to cut their incomming scrap,..i have limited exp. with any kind of cutting tourch,..though i haved used them,..is there any way to prepare myself for the test ,..both written and field,..in a short time to be confident enough to pass? any advice/ help of any kind would be greatly appreciated my name is michael ty
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-27-2007 02:35
I would suggest You get and STUDY the torch & cutting section a  welding text book. Particularly the safety procedures. That "Book Learning" might save Your life, as sometimes there is no chance to learn from Your mistakes.
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 04-27-2007 03:28
Personally I always use the 35 - 5 system. Set the regulator to 35lbs oxygen and 5lbs acetelyne. You can fine tune the feathers in your flame from there, but you will have the best control with your regs like this. Remeber, it is more about control than excessive heat!!!
I would buy a set of inexpensive tip cleaners also. You will probably have a decent tip, but you may score some points just buy looking professional! Never let on that you are not an expert! LOL!
P.S. Keep your tip out of the metal!
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-27-2007 04:15
Depending on the tip size they hand you,and the type of fuel they are using,acyt,mapp,propane,these two factors will require how much preassure you put on your reg's.Remember to back off the regulater preassure valves b4 opening the tank valves.Also,acyt. is to never be above 15 p.s.i. open your oxy. tank valve up all the way as it is a double seating valve.If the yard is using acyt. open the tank valve no more than 1 to 1-1/2 turns.They will more likly than not be using propane though as it is much cheaper and since they are not welding with it,it just wouldnt make sense.When adjusting your feather,get it nuetral,then,hit the cut valve and re-adjust it to nuetral while you have this valve open.Now you are set. Go to smith website or victor and they have the recomended preassures for different size tips and fuels.If possible,whisper in one of the guys ear at the yard and ask them what preassure they run.Most scrap yards are open to the public as long as you check in and wear a hardhat.Go there on your own time b4-hand and watch the other guys do it.Also walk up and look at there set up. Use a slight push angle while cuttting.Good luck.
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 04-27-2007 12:51
Good call. I am so used to using acetelyne that I forget you can even use anything else. Your right, Any demo guy I have ever seen uses propane. And I'll bet they use a HUGE tip in the junkyard. I use the smallest clean tip I can get my hands on for pipe. No matter what you are using, if you have a dirty tip don't even try, just go home! A clean tip is a happy tip! LOL!
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 04-27-2007 09:32
Welcome to the forum, You can find some free info right here at AWS. You'll need to have powerpoint to view. At the top of this page click the AWS Website button- once there (across top) the heading bar click education- the (down the left side) click Educators- at the bottom of the page you'll see AWS Eductor's on-line library-enter the library- click cutting processes- then click oxy-fuel- the powerpoint presentation by Tim Turner is real informative for begining you'll get intor to safet, basic equipment set-up, you'll see some good pictures of various flame types, tip on starting and making a cut. (AWS Website is awesome- heck I sound like a salesman-? wonder if I can get commision?:) )
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 04-27-2007 13:49
Assuming steel scrap, the correct size cutting tip, along with the proper oxygen and heat settings are important.  These are all based on the metal thickness as follows: 

Metal thickness Tip Size  Oxygen    Acetylene        

1/8           000      20 to 25    3 to 5
         1/4            00       20 to 25    3 to 5
         3/8             0       25 to 30     3 to 5 
         1/2             0       30 to 35     3 to 6
         3/4             1       30 to 35     4 to 7
            1             2       35 to 40     4 to 8

To light the torch, open the acetylene valve 1/8 of a turn and light it.  Run the acetylene flame out from the torch tip until the black carbon smoke is eliminated from the flame.  Adjust to a neutral flame by opening the oxygen valve.  Using the T handle on the gages, set the oxygen and acetylene according to the metal thickness.  Check the "feathers" within the flame and adjust accordingly.  The blue lines within the flame should be very clear, not fuzzy looking.  You can sharpen these blue lines by slightly adjusting the oxygen and acetylene knobs.  To start the cut, set the torch tip halfway off the edge of the metal.  The torch should be held from 1/8" to 1/4" above the metal.  When the metal becomes bright orange, pull the cutting valve down and begin.  Move the torch in a straight line with very little motion after the cut has started.  If the cut has been properly started, a shower of sparks will fall from underneath the metal.  If you move too fast, the torch will most likely stop cutting all the way through the metal and you'll have to restsart the cut.  When cutting, the torch tip should be held straight up and down, but when cutting light gage metal, the torch should be tilted in the direction of the cut, thereby slicing through the metal.  Since you're cutting scrap, always keep a set of tip cleaners handy.  You'll want to make sure in particular that the oxygen orifice in the cutting tip is clean. The flames and the oxygen should be coming straight out of the tip very sharp looking and not sideways.  If not, those are signs that the cutting tip needs to be cleaned.  
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need crash course