Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / SMAW WPS D1.1 A36
- - By rebekah (**) Date 04-27-2007 18:24
Hey

I would've thrown more letters up there but I thought I might get to the point instead :-)

I have this job where I am going to be an ironworker--which I am not--and I need some guidance.  It is 3/8" A36, Channels, W, Z, Angle and some grating all flat or vertical welds. 

1)  How do you decide between a double V groove and a single?  Dont say that the WPS should say because I dont have one and if I ask the engineer, hell just ask me back.

2)  If you have to use baked electrodes and you are in the field, what do you do?  We would just be tacking it in the field, but doesnt that matter?

Anything else you might think would help probably would.  I was certified in a different country where I wasn't fluent in the language so I missed alot of this technical information.  I was certified in vertical and overhead but then got into TIG welding and havent really done much stick welding since.

Appreciate it.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-27-2007 18:44
it would be the contract or design drawings that will have the joint details. you should have a rod oven on site, i usualy see the smaller ones in the field, it holds about 20 rods(i think). what is the municipality? often they have additional requirements, such as a specific welder cerification. a wps will most likely be required.
Parent - - By BillC (**) Date 04-27-2007 19:02
Rebekah,

A double V will use less filler metal and should reduce distortion by balancing shrinkage stresses.

Per D1.1 Section 5.18 you are required to follow the WPS for tack welds and temporary welds.  In the field you can use a portable rod oven and/or use electrodes with moisture resistant coatings for longer allowable exposure intervals.

Regards,
Parent - By rebekah (**) Date 04-27-2007 19:17 Edited 05-02-2007 15:26
So can I write my own WPS?  There isnt a contact or weld drawing yet--this is an inhouse job and a bit ass around the elbow.  I dont know if I will have access to a portable rod over--can you rent them?  I will double check with the engineer if he realizes the requirements of welding to D1.1 or if he just threw that out there to cover his ass.  I know he wants me to recertify to do the job. 
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 19:21
To add to Bill comment about the rod ovens, I work with a couple local erectors and they purchase hermetically sealed, small containers(cans look like a pringles can) of lo-hy rod to minimize waste and to get around maintaining a rod oven on site for small jobs without power service on site. Just another thought.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / SMAW WPS D1.1 A36