Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone welded with a 2006/7 pipeliner 200 ?
- - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-27-2007 23:48
I was at the recycling yard today doin a little work and a welder came in with a bitchen rig.It was 4WD,2001 Dodge diesel with a Douglas welder-bed on it.He says their out of Bakersfield.Anyways,he had a 6 month old pipeliner 200 diesel in the back...real purdy.I asked how he thought it welded etc. He said he thought it was great and said it compared with his short hood.I was telling him how everyone always says the old lincolns are way better than the new ones,what with the pure copper and all,but he says he really thinks its more people so used to welder and that they do weld great,but the newer on he just got is just as smooth and would recomend it to anyone.He's an oldtimer too,so I believe him.He was doing water pipe in bakersfield for a few weeks and is retired now but still tkes on short jobs and his son is taking over the rig.What is your guys opinion? I just really want to know if it's more of a reality that the old ones weld better,or if it might just be embedded in our brains..?
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-28-2007 00:35
I was tagged up with a guy who retired his 65 redface and bought a 200d on some 30" this winter and he said he was happy with it. 
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 04-28-2007 00:47
The Lincoln 200 generators have been all copper for many years now, they dug out of storage and use the same tooling that was put away in the early 70's. So the generator design isn't an issue in old vs. new.

JTMcC.
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-28-2007 01:21
Ahh.Ok.So there is some missconception's.Well,on my part anyway.I was confused as to there being some aluminum in the generators on the new ones.Well,I just knew this ol' feller knew what he was talking about.:)
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-28-2007 03:03 Edited 04-28-2007 03:05
there is a guy on the Miller forum that bought a new lincoln sa 200D maybe a couple months back you could try posting over there and ask him about his but from what I remember he seemed to liek his alot but he went from I think a Miller TB maybe to this sa 200 so not sure if he knows much about the old ones. JTMcC do you know what his name is on the miller forum? I thought what I had heard is the new ones had some aluminum in them that they weren't all solid copper but don't hold me to it, it seems liek everyone I ask about these machines I hear a different saying each time but JTMcC and a few others I've talked to on here are right on the money about these old machines I have asked him many questions and he knows them well. I am hoping one of these days I can find a old redface to restore only because I'm a poor welding student and I like restoring things and making them new again.

Chris
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone welded with a 2006/7 pipeliner 200 ?