Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 570 AND API 510
- - By DKUMPUNEN (*) Date 05-01-2007 17:26
Any one out there certified in API 570 and API 510? If so how hard is the test that you take?

DON KUMPUNEN QA SUP SHIP GULF COAST
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 05-01-2007 17:32
If you have experience and study - Easier
If you dont have experience and dont study - Harder
Probably like most tests. 

If its your first visual cert - Hard
If its one of many - Easier
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-01-2007 17:51
i found it tougher than the cwi, ndt , and icc-steel. i've never gone to a seminar for an exam, it would have helped cut down the time it took for the 570
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 05-03-2007 01:51 Edited 05-03-2007 01:53
I hold 570,653 and TES.Will be taking my 510 in December You dont study, you wont pass. You do not have experience in the area you are testing for,you wont pass. You have a companu who will say you havethe experience when you dont, pay for a prep class, study your butt off, you have a good chance to pass the test. The API test are really hard. Really hard.
Also code books are $1100 to $1500 for each one. Prep classis $1200 plus motel. Test is $750. If you are doing this yourself, budget $5K not counting lost time from work. Also you canot take the 570 and 510 testat the same sitting. You can only sit for one. Then set again in 6 months for the other.
Check out api.org and click on individual certification programs 
Do you have experienceinspecting or working with pressure vessels or process piping? 
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 01-30-2008 21:53
Hey DBK,
Did you pass?  I am signed up for June in Houston.  I plan on taking the Code West Seminar and I have been studying the Effective Publications since November.  Is there anything I should really focus on or is it broken up pretty well?  Should I be looking at the ASME sections as much as the API codes????
John
Parent - By BamaDave (**) Date 05-13-2007 18:01
If you can pass a CWI then you can pass the API exams.  Obviously taking a prep course will increase your odds and make things much easier, but you can just read/study and pass on your own.  Many folks don't realize that the body of knowledge basically spells out exactly what you're required to retain.  Most if not all prep courses just take the body of knowledge one step at a time which you can do on our own, given your motivated.

Good luck!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / API 570 AND API 510