Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / allowable weave under D1.1
- - By SKY59 Date 05-01-2007 21:38
I am away from my office and am looking at a thru arc seam tracking system for our robotic weld application. Problem is, the TAST system requires a minimum of .0120 weave in order to coordinate positioning, we are using 045 wire and I believe code only allows for 1.5 times the diameter for max weave. Also, is that weave measured from the center of the weld to toe, or toe to toe, and is that application of code the same for gmaw as it is for smaw?

Flash Gordon
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 05-02-2007 01:39
For qualified welding procedures, I do not believe that AWS D1.1 has a weave limitation.  For pre-qulified welding procedures, there is a maximum joint width that when exceeded, the weld must be done in more than one pass.  Since I don't have D1.1 handy, I can't remember the table (Although it should be in chapter 3)or guarantee the value, but I believe that for GMAW, you are probably looking at 5/8" in the flat position for joint width before the weld has to be broken into multiple passes.  If you have seen a 1.5X the diameter weave limitation, it probably applied to SMAW.  I have never seen antying that tight for FCAW or GMAW.  That doesn't mean it might not be out there though.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-02-2007 01:43
I am unaware of any code statement in D1.1 that prohibits the weave to 1.5 max.
There are statements that address changing from stringer to weave but as I understand it are primarily related to heat input.

Table 4.6 for instance will state the following under supplementary essential variables for CVN applications;

b) Weld Metal Volume--An increase in bead size, or a decrease in the length
of weld bead per unit length of electrode.

I believe it's a matter of whats qualified rather than actual technique. Statements in C5.7 would support this.
If you have qualified the technique, it passes all the required mechanical test, I don't see the problem.
As for how a weave is measured, that's often the subject of debate and little backing. The one constant is that all weaves are measured
as a factor of the electrode diameter, and not a function of the weld toe or center of the weld. I.E. .045 2 x weave = .090
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / allowable weave under D1.1