Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pocket Reference books on Welding Rod?
- - By commonarc (**) Date 05-03-2007 03:01
Can anyone suggest a pocket reference book I can use on the job that has the specs for various types of alloy and carbon steel welding rod?
I'm also looking for a pocket reference guide for preheat specs for various types of steels used in coal fired power plants.  I like to weld them the proper way even if the contractor could care less.

Thanks
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-03-2007 06:49
Hello commonarc, the Hobart Pocket Welding Guide is an inexpensive and fairly comprehensive publication with likely all of the information that you would be looking for. ESAB also makes a book that is somewhat similar and contains similar information. There are likely others too, these are the ones that come to mind to me at the moment. Regards, aevald
Parent - By commonarc (**) Date 05-03-2007 14:17
Thanks.  I'll look into the Hobart.
Parent - By magodley (**) Date 05-03-2007 19:09
the ESAB filler metals handbook is also available online at esabna.com   click on ESAB University icon.  also available on CD.
Other manufactures are probably available online also.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-03-2007 19:11
Just a thought you might want to consider- A lot of the information you are looking for is online under the electrode manufacturers' websites.  If you only need the preheats and parameter ranges for different electrodes/ base metals, you might want to compile your own list and laminate it to keep in your tool box. 

I was told by an AISC auditor that a Korean company he visited shrunk their WPS's and laminated them.  Every welder had every WPS he needed in his shirt pocket.  Nothing is perfect but that seemed like a good idea.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-04-2007 03:22
Hey "Chet the answer guy" (I read about you in Inspection Trends a while back). Anyhow I'm off of the subject, but when I do A2.4 weld symbol training I 2 sided copy and shrink on my copier and laminate the standard element location chart and Weld Joints And Types that American Technical Publisher has on their free resource site http://www.go2atp.com/stores/1/resources.cfm?P=7 My welders like to keep in in their work stations, as for WPS I write them out as ISO work instructions with lots of pictures (just in case the welder is not functionally literate they can still follow procedure)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Pocket Reference books on Welding Rod?