Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Partial penetration welds, single bevels from both sides...
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-04-2007 13:36
I have a job in shop right now, D1.1-94 is the criteria.  We have some very thick members, approximately 16 inches long with partial penetration welds from both sides of the members.  These members are in very close proximity to an end plate so the ends of the welds are inaccesible to dress up for cosmetic purposes.  The weld in the groove portion is very nice.

Here's my question (I no longer work extensively with D1.1); is there visual acceptance criteria for the ends of these welds?  For visual imaging, picture the starts of a weld test, in 2G... I've looked intensely at D1.1 and my opinion is the ends of the welds are "slightly" beyond the length of the parts so I figure these areas are outside of the effective length.

Evan if I were to be anal and wished to apply some "arbitrary" criteria, say RT acceptance for example, from what I've seen the ends would meet that criteria.

Just looking for some opinions on this condition.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-04-2007 13:57
Jon, can you use run off tabs to keep the joint full and then dress up the ends when you whack off the run off tabs?

Edit, nevermind, I see that you are up against another plate(end plate) making access with a grinder hard.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 05-04-2007 14:11
I would say that if the weld extends beyond the required length of the joint, as long as the end of the weld does not have any rejectable indications, I would let it slide....that is, only if the code does not mention anything about it. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-04-2007 14:20
I'm only looking to see what, if any criteria would be applied to these areas since they are beyond the effective length, as defined by our bill of materials.  I continue the opinion that visual conditions are irrelevant?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-04-2007 14:34
is there enough room to put some ceramic backing between the end plate and weld terimination
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-04-2007 15:07
We've tried that but had very little success.  The angularity is difficult and we end up with either fusion or slag inclusions when using the ceramic backing.  I have heard back from the Secretary to D1.1 and he concurred there is no specific criteria for this condition except "sound weld metal" which of course, the Code does not define.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-05-2007 04:01
Hello John;

You didn't say whether the welds are subjected to static or dynamic loads.

I would tend to agree that if the loads are for static conditions, the ends of the welds beyond the required length are not going to have a detrimental affect on the weldment. Consider the fact that we do not remove the extension tabs or backing bars when the design is for static loads.

The same may not be the case if the weldment is subject to dynamic or cyclic loading where the end conditions of the weld may act as stress risers and can potentially initiate cracks. Backing bars that are transverse to the primary load are removed and extension tabs are removed and ground flush to eliminate stress risers that are beyond the effective lenght of the joint when the loads are cyclic.

Conditions that are not addressed by the applicable code are best referred to the design professional, i.e., the engineer. I would not expect this type of decission to be the inspector's responsibility. However, it is a well trained and experienced inspector that would recognize the potential problems caused by this type of situation.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-05-2007 11:49
Thanks Al, yes, I have recommended to my boss that we refer to the designer... there is a clause in our contract that allows us to identify unaddressed issues to the designer so if we must do cosmetics at the ends, which the code doesn't address it may be cause for a change order and more $$$.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-05-2007 11:49
Thanks Al, yes, I have recommended to my boss that we refer to the designer... there is a clause in our contract that allows us to identify unaddressed issues to the designer so if we must do cosmetics at the ends, which the code doesn't address it may be cause for a change order and more $$$.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-06-2007 14:13
There's few things better than change orders to improve the bottom line on a project. It's better yet when the change orders can be attributed to you.

I know a number of contractors that drive luxury cars and have the heated pools paid for by change orders they know are bound to happen on any major project.

Beswt regards - Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 00:43
LMAO, well.... I gave the heater to my pool away because I couldn't afford to run it (from previous owner) and I drive a Chevy Malibu, have contributed mightily to the bottom line in the past 5 years, but have only had a single pay raise in all that time.... guess all I'm doing is making the owners of my present company all the richer, aye?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 01:45
That's why they call the working man an "employee". The employer reaps the benefits of the employee's labors. I'm sure the boss appreciates all you do for him. That's the great American way. The employer gets all that he can for the least amount paid and charges as much as the market will bear for your labors. You in turn, have the benefit of a job to pay for a roof over your head and to put food on the family table. That is, until the boss can find someone that will do more for less. He may not speak the same language or even live in this country, but if he'll work for a penny an hour less than you, he'll get your job. That's corporate America all wrapped up in the red, white, and blue.

As I say to my wife, I may not die rich, I might not die famous, but I'm going to have a whole lot of fun while I'm on this good earth. I do enjoy being self-employed. I enjoy sending invoices to clients that I once worked for and I especially enjoy invoicing those great companies that provide us with "market priced" gasoline, heating oil, electricity, and I can't leave out the pharmaceutical companies. I know they will get every red cent back with interest by the end of the year, but it tickles me every time I get to send them a bill all the same. Its the great American way. I do love this country. Where else in the world do they conduct business like we do? Damn, Memorial Day must be getting close, I'm feeling all patriotic.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 20:43
Jon,
A heated pool in Michigan?
Who would have a heated pool in Michigan? Don't they kick folks outa the state for that and send em to California? My impression was that any self respecting Michiganer just gets all nekit and cuts a hole in the ice?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 20:55
lol.... yeppers!  I have no idea why the idiots before me put in a heater... only to find out in the very first season they couldn't afford to run it....
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 21:02
You know, the thought never occured to me but there is some really funny stuff in this idea.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-07-2007 21:50
yep... and funnier still, I gave the heater to one of our QA/QC Inspectors where I work.... lol... don't think he's hooked it up yet after two years... duh....
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Partial penetration welds, single bevels from both sides...