Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Engineer wondering about long absence
- - By Los Date 05-06-2007 02:37
Hi.  I graduated with a bachelor in Welding Engineering in 1998 and did a year of engineering related work before I headed off to Asia for a long journey.  I returned to the states last year and have been doing custom house painting.  I recently decided to get back into engineering, I miss the challenge, so I enrolled in the local community college to take welding courses.  These classes are refreshing a lot of my memory which is great!  However my question is this, how do I make myself appealing to potential employers? 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-06-2007 10:14
you shouldn't have any problems, just put your resume out there, when you get called explain as you have here...
Parent - - By Los Date 05-09-2007 03:22
That is good news but then I have another quesiton.  How do I get possible employers to see that without explaining it?  If they see just my resume there's no explaintion there.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-09-2007 04:18
Put it in the cover letter.
Bill
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-18-2007 13:33 Edited 05-18-2007 13:35
If they care they will ask.  Welding Engineers are in demand brotha and the fact you graduated with a welding engineering degree will be appealing to potential employers!!! You might have to move somewhere else for a bit, but hey ya gota do what cha gota do ya know.  Yeah you might not end up as an engineer for NASA, but there are some small companies and big ones out there that could use you and then you will develope experience and can move on to bigger and better jobs.  Good luck and don't give up!
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-18-2007 16:53
Your resume is what you make it.  It can be as detailed or as plain as you want it to be.  I spent 20 years in the service, and when it came time to retire, I had never even really applied for a job in my life to that point.  So I started off with a resume, then after every job interview I asked for a one-line review of my resume.  Most employers are more than happy to explain what they liked and didn't.  Eventually I got so good that the phone was ringing off the hook, finally that one job, the PERFECT job came along, and here I am.  So don't give up, you have to start somewhere.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Engineer wondering about long absence