Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / shear connector bending requirements....
- - By bellaru (*) Date 05-08-2007 04:21
why is it that at the start of every shift , the inspector is required to preform a 30 degree bend onthe required amount of steel studs , but the verification comes along and sees a incomplete flash , or it has been welded down or repaired manually , hes only required to bend it over "15" degrees....?    only "half" as much......?
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 05-08-2007 21:57
I do not have my stud welding books available, but I believe that the 30° requirement is on pre-production studs.  The 15° angle bend is on the production studs so that you do not reduce the effectiveness of that stud by bending it too much.  15° still allows it to develop the majority of the strength in concrete that it would have if not bent but 30° is deemed detrimental.  Not that the stud is weaker, but that the holding strength in the concrete is reduced.  Did I make that clear as mud?
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 05-09-2007 03:12
yes , its clear............and all that sounds about right to me......  thank you..........
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 05-09-2007 03:13
boy , the things you can learn here...........
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2007 10:42 Edited 05-09-2007 10:45
Doug is right...D1.1:2006 Section 7 is dedicated just for stud welding. Read paragraph 7.6 and 7.7, it goes into detail about the procedure that Doug mentioned for the pre-production testing and for the start of each shift or change of operator testing requirements. There is alot in Section 7 that some people don't pay alot of attention to because they don't see the importance.....take the time to read over this Section, it does have some really good information in there to keep you out of trouble due to stud failures. One thing that gets overlooked a great deal is stick or wire welding the studs on....nobody ever grinds the flux tip off(7.5.5.3), they just tack the stud on and weld, and most don't even follow the minimum fillet weld requirements for each diameter of stud being welded(ie. 3/4" stud gets a 5/16" min fillet all around with no undercut). A savy inspector can measure a welded stud and tell if it is the right length or if it is 1/8"-3/16" too tall ;-)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-11-2007 15:54
Guys,

So, when the code states that with regard to fillet welds, the stud base (7.5.5.3) "shall be prepared so that the base of the stud fits against the base metal", what exactly does that mean? To me, if it is implying that the stud tip be removed, I think it should have stated something to that effect.  As it is written, it seems to leave some things to the imagination, i.e., in order to get the "base of the stud to fit against the base metal", all that's required is to simply remove the stud tip? OR, worse than that, does the end of the stud need to be notched, ground, or machined to fit against the base metal, such as when a stud is manually welded to either the heel of an angle or the inside fillet of an angle? I've never done either one and I doubt that anyone else has either, but; to comply with 7.5.5.3, in order for the stud base to "fit against the base metal" in the two applications with the angles I mention, one case would require each stud end to have a 90 degree notch when applied to an angle heel, and the other case would require each stud end to be radiused to fit inside the angle on the fillet.  Food for thought, and I still don't understand the significance of removing the tip, regardless of  the stud location.  I mean, it's less than 1/16" long.  It's more trouble to remove it than to simply increase the fillet weld size a little to compensate for not removing it.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-11-2007 16:20
i've always required the removal of the "flux ball" (as it is refered to in our area)
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-11-2007 16:26 Edited 05-11-2007 16:32
Ok, but what about when a stud is manually welded to the heel of an angle, or the inside fillet of an angle? Those stud ends cannot fully fit against the base metal without grinding them to fit, so that they can comply with 7.5.5.3.  I guess my point is, why are we removing the tip on flat applications, which makes no sense to me, but for angle heels or angle fillets, we do nothing MORE than remove the tip.  On these two applications, even after the tip is removed, they have less stud material in contact with the base metal than a flat application, which makes no sense, times ten. 
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 05-11-2007 17:01
we will also cut and grind stud ends so that the stud end fits aginst the base metal
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 05-11-2007 17:05
WOW.  You've actually done this in the past?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-11-2007 17:30
this is how i've seen them prepared for as long as i can remember. i can't remember ever requiring this to be done. it's just that every job, 3rd party or in house, has already had them cut and fit or included in the fab procedure / noted on the cut sheet.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / shear connector bending requirements....