Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT/CWI?
- - By magneto Date 03-03-2001 00:39
Okay, what is CWI. ------don't laugh......I am in the Navy and worked two years in a big fab shop making coal haulers and dump trucks prior to joining. I am slightly familiar with NDT and its processes. I have been selected for the NDT school (navy) and I want to get a heads up on info regarding this vital field.
I need to familiarize myself with the vernacular and I want to have a good feel for civilian equivilencies and where I stand compared to my civilian counterparts after training. What schools do civilians attend, where do they get entry level jobs and how much do they make..........
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-03-2001 03:26
A CWI is a Certified Welding Inspector. The certification takes place through testing that you must pay for. The test is administered by the American Welding Society.

Based on working with Navy and Non-Navy NDT inspoectors, the Navy NDT school is pretty comprehensive compared to the civilian counterparts. I have noticed that Navy NDT inspectors would somtimes alter the acceptance criteria to be "on the safe side". I worked on Submarine tenders for 5 years fixing FBM and Fast Attack subs and I loved it. In my opinion the way to get the most out of it is to get orders to a sima/ship that works.

As far as making money. Generally welding pays more or at least it does for those that are not Level II across the board. Get all the schools, books and materials uncle sam will give you.

Gerald Austin

http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999/
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / NDT/CWI?