Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 4130 Substitute
- - By airweld (**) Date 03-03-2001 02:08
I am new to this group, so, please advise if I am not following the rules or asking inappropriate questions. I am a welder by trade, specializing in small aircraft applications, primarily 4130 tube structures.
I would like to replace sections of these 4130 tube frames with a more corrosion resistant material. My research suggests a duplex stainless, such as 2205, meets the mechanical and weldability requirements while offering significantly better corrosion resistance. My questions are:
1. Does anyone have any real world experience with this alloy and would
it be suitable for this application? No signed statements required :)
2. When TIG welding 2205 to 4130, what is the best filler and gas? The
diameters range from .375 to 1.5" and wall thickness from .035 to
.065".
3. What about using a backing flux as opposed to a purge gas? I have
used a backing flux on 321 and it worked O.K.
That's all I can think of for now. I would really appreciate the benefit of
someone else's experience on this matter. Thanks in advance for your time, Scott.
Parent - - By Darvin (*) Date 03-04-2001 07:51
I'm new around here as well but I can tell you this board is VERY slow. Not much activity here.

I use to be a welder and I recall reading somewhere in my AWS books that welding alloys with chromium to alloys with nickel could result in cracking. And I seem to remember the cracking could develop after some aging. I sorry I don't remember the metallurgical explanation.

If you don't have access to technical books or get an answer from someone here, let me know and I'll try to dig it up for you.

Darvin
Parent - - By bhiltz (**) Date 03-04-2001 13:00
Are there other welding forum's out there? where?
Parent - By Darvin (*) Date 03-05-2001 15:45
I don't know of any. I just meant this board is slow compared to other boards I frequent. Like Mel's HTML forum, Autographics forum or the Mopar forum I use.

It looks like a pretty new forum and I think it could use a guru to "prime the pump" so to speak. I'll hang around a while and see what happens.
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-05-2001 18:27
Thanks for the kind response and offer. I have been doing research on this subject from every angle that is available to me, ie. Lincoln procedure handbook, AWS tech articles, and every metal producer and distributor I can find. But I have yet to find someone that has actually used this alloy and this procedure to confirm all the data. The R&D division of this outfit is on a shoestring budget so the inhouse testing of new processes is limited. At some point I'll have to get a small batch of this alloy 2205 tubing and some ER2209 wire and see what happens. I'd still like to hear from anyone who has used this material and has any comments.
Parent - - By Niekie Date 03-06-2001 06:09
I am also quite new to this forum, but find it rather interesting. I work in the petro-chemical industry which means that I certainly have experience with alloy 2205. (Basically a trade name of Sandvik) I would suggest that you rather use Sandvik SAF 2304 material, because it should have adequate corrosion resistance for your application while being somewhat cheaper.

Welding these duplex S/Steels is not that difficult, but there are a number of issues to considder. I suggest that you check the Sandvik website for more info. They generally tend to have good info wrt. these matters. URL is: www.sandvik.com

If you do not come right, let me know and I can give you some pointers.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Sasolburg
South Africa
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 03-06-2001 17:52
Thanks for the info.I have spent alot of time on Sandvik's website looking at duplex steels. I looked at the 2304 alloy also but apparently
it is not produced in as many different sizes as 2205. At least that's the way the nearest Sandvik distributor lists them. There may be other designations for this alloy that I'm not aware of. I'm still looking. Is Sandvik the largest producer these alloys in thinwall tubing?
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 03-06-2001 23:05
The minute you mention aircraft tube structures a red flag goes up to most people, liability issues. This is probably the reason for slow response times, additionally I believe everyone is busy. All I can do is suggest that many tests of the mechanical variety need to be performed along with data collection, I will add, this would be very expensive. You would be better off to look at coatings to gain your corrosion resistance, there are many. Hope this explains your situation for you.

Best regards, Brad M.
Parent - - By pdweldor (*) Date 03-08-2001 21:08
I would research this real carefully and devlop procedures carefully. Duplex SS can have high ferrite contents form in the HAZ if the welding procedure is off. This leads to poor toughness, essentially a brittle weld. Look beyond tensile strength - what about fatigue strength?
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-09-2001 03:21
I have gotten all the literature from Sandvik that specifies filler wire, and lists all the properties, procedures and pitfalls with this material, BUT, I would still like to find someone with hands-on, personal experience to say," Yes, it works just fine." Things like fatigue strength over a long period of time are harder to quantify. After all, Sandvik, is trying to sell more product. I do appreciate everyones thoughts on the matter.
Parent - - By Darvin (*) Date 03-12-2001 18:58
I think the only safe thing to do would be to weld up some samples that represent what you plan to do and take them to a lab. Taking someone's word wouldn't be very reassuring to me. Better to spend a couple hundred bucks for some hard data than to use the old trial-and-error method.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-12-2001 20:51
And YOU wondered why this forum is slow!
You should look in to the credentials of some of the people on this board, I think you will be impressed.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-13-2001 21:19
Yikes....... That's my first impression and Yikes a second time.

Aircraft component welding may be accomplished only with approved engineering documentation for the *Specific* component to be weld repaired.

The component vendor/manufacturer has all relevant data with regard to weld repairs of components, If they do not have it, it does not exist! To Deviate in any way from the requirements of a specific engineering document, (this includes fluxing when inert purge is called out) puts you, and you're A&P licensee at risk. However that point is secondary. If you're experimenting with joining of dissimilar metals, substituting parent materials for component parts or joining metals with filler wire chosen by whim on aircraft that fly, Stop Now! Lives are at risk. This entire conversation makes me nervous.

Experts choose materials and filler wires for a reason. Even if a material vendor suggests compatability of metals via some chart in a textbook or sales/ inventory catalog, they have not likely engineered your component or considered functional performance of the applications you intend. Nor will they stand behind you *when* something goes wrong!

Before you take further action I urge you to find an experienced A&P Mechanic to assist you in accessing the manufactures specifications for the components you wish to repair/fabricate. Remove ALL experimental components you have installed and replace with proper/certified parts. Than become conversant in, or better yet certified to the related welding specifications which apply to your work <Mil. Std. 1595a> for example.

To be blunt what is being discussed is the installation of Bogus Parts on aircraft and the FAA will not hesitate to levy fines or imprison offenders.

Your Questions are relevant and appropriate, if you had not asked; the result may have been catastrophic. However, in the end, your response is the most critical Issue!

With Gravity

Lawrence Bower
Maintenance instructor ~ Welding
Education Development
United Airlines
Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 03-13-2001 23:38
Thank you Lawrence!, for explaining issues involved with aircraft maintenance for the people that check this forum out. Any one reading, please take note. It is good to be a creative thinker, but, you must be careful and aware of the all issues, with what you are trying to resolve.
Like what was said "lives are at stake", many welded components fall in to this category, not only aircaft components. Point is there is an immense amount of knowledge to learn out here, just be careful while learning.

Best Regards, Brad (22 years in welding and still learning)
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-15-2001 11:08
Yikes.....your right lives are at risk.
We better shut this down before you fall off your soap box and get hurt.

Parent - - By BP Maas (**) Date 03-15-2001 15:56
Ron,

Your making light of a potentially serious situation. How would you like it if a family member of yours were killed because someone didn't follow established procedures or, prove a new one? Would you ride transportation subject high cyclic stresses with a joint like the one being proposed? Maybe so, if you have a death wish!
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-15-2001 17:40
Give me a break please!
Do you really suppose this person is working on a commercial air craft?

They dont let just any body do so you know! "YIKES" there mechanics have to be certified so I belive the would be a hell of a lot fusser about welding.

I do not make light of the subject! and I yikes I will repeat it. I do not make light of it.

I made a comment to the effect that there were some very highly qualified people on this board and that they do not throw out frivolus information on a whim and there for the statement about this board being slow was uncalled for, then this other chap jumps up and trys to flame every one.

I do belive in all that retoric some one threw up caution flags and mumble something about procedures. NOW if a person who is qualified to engineer repair work on an aircraft dosent know how filter threw and make proper use of information given to them, Well YIKES we are in big trouble (and I gotta catch a plane this Sunday)

I think the powers that be are on to this and will probly require that any welding on commercial air liners be performed by qualified personnel to qualified procedures in the future or isnt that what the other guy said?

Parent - By BP Maas (**) Date 03-15-2001 23:05
I appologize Ron, you got under my skin with your statement. I may have misunderstood. The subject started out with a corrosion issue and a proposed fix. I am quite sure the tube structure was non-commercial as you do. I believe what was trying to be relayed, was the road being taken may be possible but, much to expensive to resolve the problem, a good hard look at established procedures would give the person an answer.

Have a good trip Ron, Brad
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-13-2001 23:15
Yes this forum is a little slow, but if your job or business requires specific welding information, this is not a bad place to obtain this info.

I have to agree 100% with the previous post. Having spent about half of my welding carreer in the precision sheet metal and aircraft/aerospace industries, guessing can be hazardous to lives and property. Do not experiment when it comes to issues such as transportation of people, there are liability issues and the concerned parties are very concerned.

I would seek additional information from the manufacture of the craft regardless of the nature (i.e.: air, water, submersible, etc.) and from the material and consumable suppliers respectively.

Your question is not inappropriate and is valid for sure.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-15-2001 21:17
Airweld:
My intent was not to flame. Maybe I can say this another way and make it more understandable. It has been a blessing for me to work under the direction of and be exposed to some of the worlds leading eggheads (said with reverence), responsible for welding exotic metals in the both the military and civilian aerospace industry. From hang gliders to Blue Angels to jumbo jets, over the decades the folks who make and fix this stuff have collected uncounted libraries of data. Research and experimentation has been ongoing and well published.

Thinking outside the box is wonderful, but in the aviation world you will have to go WAY out there to find something that has not been tried and discarded by the experts. When they find a thing useful it gets published (because it must be if they use it) and becomes a standard practice. Proprietary materials are pretty scarce with only a few exceptional cast alloy pressure vessels notable.

If a substitution of parent material or filler alloy is possible it will be noted in the manufacturers spec. If the project is small or a homegrown kit, rather than spend the money playing the role of Jr. metallurgist, sending coupons to a costly lab, it will still be so much more simple and reliable to go to the fabricator or design engineer of that part and obtain the data from them. Somebody has already done the work.

Corrosion was for you a stated concern from the outset; this makes fluxing of 321 parent material or 347 filler problematic. Any residual flux left on the part will be a corrosion risk. In most cases if you have enough access to remove all traces of flux after completing the weld than you prolly could have purged it and gained the superior mechanical properties anyhow.

I can't apologize for emphatically encouraging you to find and follow documented guidelines. Doing so will add safety, integrity and peace of mind to every aspect of your projects. However, do know it is my desire to treat you as a craftsman with the same respect I treat our shared craft.

Lawrence
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-15-2001 23:33
Well put. Personally, I don't think the service of the craft is relevant, only that human lives are at stake. Hopefully, those who enjoy controversy will comprehend the content of the last post (or any post's in here) before they respond.

I hope we can all keep postings at a somewhat professional level and note any qualifiers with the responses. There are some really good professionals who pop in and out of here, we can all learn from their experience and education, I know I can.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-16-2001 18:04
Blessed are the feet of those who bring good news!

How about that, our very own site host may be presenting the answer to the issue at hand. I am eager to dive into this one!

Read on!

MIAMI -- February 15, 2001 -- The result of years of research from welding experts around the world, the American Welding Society (AWS) has released the groundbreaking new standard, Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications (AWS D17.1:2001). This new guide covers procedures never before addressed in previous documents. Included for the first time are authoritative procedures for weld repair of in-service flight hardware, as well as the design and repair of non-flight hardware.

Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications includes detailed information on the welding of a variety of alloys, including nickel, aluminum and titanium-based alloys. The standard also includes the requirements for welding design, personnel and procedure qualification, and inspection and acceptance criteria.

Developed under the guidance of the AWS Committee of Welding in the Aircraft and Aerospace Industries, this ANSI-approved standard draws on the experience of experts in the field of aviation welding. Representatives from Boeing, GE Aircraft Engines, NASA and many other companies contributed to the development of this breakthrough in aerospace welding guidance.

The new Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications is 104-pages long and lists for $112.00, $84.00 for AWS members. It can be ordered by calling Global Engineering Documents at (800)854-7179, or on the AWS website at www.aws.org.

Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-16-2001 22:15
Now who said this board was slow?

All I wanted to do was point out there are some of the best in the buisness here.

You cant expect them to throw out answers with out discussion and much caution. Thats not slow thats thorough.
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-17-2001 03:28
As the author of the topic under discussion, it may be useful to explain why I ask the question. My business is welding on live airplanes, mostly 4130 tube frames. I do restorations of antiques (as old as 1920's), amateur built experimentals, and lots of Pipers, Champs, Taylorcrafts, Maules, Stearmans, etc. I have been flying and working on airplanes all my life and for the last 26 years, doing it in the state of Alaska. I replace miles of rusted 4130 tubing every year, and I don't mean light surface rust. And of course I replace it with the same 4130 tubing that rusted out in the first place. Does anyone else see where I'm going here? I think there is a better way and because nobody else has done it yet does not mean it 1; is not possible, 2;can't be done safely, or 3;is not "economical". Now as to the manufacturer and all his research, it ended 50 or 60 years ago, and I have a hard time even getting blueprints for these planes to know where the tubes are supposed to go after they're wrecked. I have to engineer the design and process myself and then get FAA approval to use it (on certificated airplanes, anyway). And what better place to go than here, where those who rub shoulders with the eggheads, may offer a suggestion or two, in the spirit of furthering the knowledge base of our chosen field. And I do appreciate all the commentary! And now, as far as who is qualified to weld on airplanes, it may surprise you to know that thousands of amateurs with a couple hours of practice have welded airframes together (lots of them of their own design) and structural failures are rare and the overall accident rate for experimental amateur-built is the same as certified planes (although it was expected to be at least double when first introduced). My 9 year-old son can weld on a certified airframe and I, as a FAA certified mechanic with an inspection authorization, can approve it as airworthy. And my authorization involves no welding certification other than the training I got when I went to A&P school. Add to that the fact that here in the far north the only way to get things done sometimes is improvisation. Something to think about the next time you go for a ride in a small tube-frame airplane, eh? The result of all this is called experience and that's what I'm looking for: someone with experience in welding duplex stainless. I'll even look in AWS D17.1:2001.
Thanks for all the suggestions, Scott.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-17-2001 16:30
Airweld,
Now that you are thoroughly indoctrinated in to the AWS forum!

There are many people hear that may not have personal experence in your application but they can give you give the benefit of there knowledge of metels and welding processes.

If you read back over some of the old posting you will see what I mean and you may find some insight already posted.

I know I have came to this board on many occassion and have received dependable (possible the best) help, If not exactly the answer then at least where I might find it.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 4130 Substitute