Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cup Walk?
- - By arcboy (*) Date 05-09-2007 21:48
So anybody have any links to a video on cup walking.   I went to school and got my AAS in weld tech. and in our pipe class we never learned hwo to cup walk.  I hear that this is controversal aobut if it good or not.  What do you guys think. 

This info will help becasue I am a new welding instructor and I would like to learn how to do this and teach it if the class is advanced enough.

Thanks
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-11-2007 15:33
Here is a short video I made. By no means state of the art "Walking the Cup" but it will give you the idea. http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/misc/WalkingTheCupVid.htm

Have a good day

Gerald
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-11-2007 17:18
It's hard to tell, but are you feeding the wire into the leading edge of the puddle, walking the cup on top of the weld metal just as it freezes?  Or you feeding the wire into the back edge as the puddle freezes?
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-11-2007 19:09
In that one the wire is staying in the same place. You can feed additional wire if needed. The wire feeding part is easy. And once you get the feel of walking the cup, it is pretty easy too.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-12-2007 10:05
I do it all the time...but I have a helluva time trying to teach it to someone else by describing it.   The only way i can get it across is to have them watch me do it.

I always thought that "walking the cup" was basically moving it through a groove/bevel joint.  Touching the cup  off "waddiling it forward" and I never considered laying it on top of my weld and moving across what had just frozen???    

BTW. for some strange reason I cant pull up your video.......not on your end as others can see it it must be mine....but could you tell me what format you posted it in.....wmv. mpeg. mov. or what.

thx
Tommy
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-14-2007 16:09
It is a .AVI file.
Parent - - By arcboy (*) Date 05-12-2007 20:20
Yeah can't seem to see the video. That would be great too watch then I could try it out.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-13-2007 03:49
I can't get this video, but someone posted one a few months ago that I could get. Maybee You could look back and find it?
Parent - By Odie (*) Date 05-13-2007 03:08
Well im a South paw i walk a #12 most of the time.i like the rythym.Never could spell tho.(:
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-18-2007 17:10
With a lot of practice, it's a great way to keep your arc length consistent and your angle right.
Parent - - By marshtackie Date 05-24-2007 18:17
Walking with a bigger cup makes it alot easier and uniform
Parent - - By magodley (**) Date 05-24-2007 19:27
marshtackie I'm curious as to where you came up with that name?
Andy
Parent - - By arcboy (*) Date 05-24-2007 23:48
Anybody figure out some videos?

Still can't view the link posted.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 05-25-2007 23:18
You might want to check your settings, I can see it fine.
Parent - - By arcboy (*) Date 05-26-2007 02:51
check what settings?  I am no computer whiz but every other video downloaded or has a link I can see fine.
Parent - - By arcboy (*) Date 05-26-2007 02:52
under the properties menu it says that everything is not available to view.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 05-26-2007 03:25
Well, I'm no computer whiz, either...but, try this:
Click on Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Tab
Scroll down to Multimedia and make sure 'Play Videos in Web Pages' is checked.

If that ain't it, you're on yer own.
Parent - - By Nandy Date 05-30-2007 21:31
Try these links. You must have a avi player. I believe Windows Media Player is capable of playing avi.

http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/misc/WalkinCup1.avi
http://weldinginspectionsvcs.com/misc/walkincup_2.avi

Nandy
Parent - By arcboy (*) Date 06-01-2007 19:38
Thanks Nandy that is exactly what I am looking for.  Looks like the filler rod is just laying there and no dipping  This would be quite consistent as long as you can wald the cup consistent.
Parent - - By mightymoe (**) Date 07-06-2008 13:59
Just move a full  55 gallon barrel in a straight line for a while.
Parent - - By pypLynr (***) Date 07-08-2008 13:01
I am a south paw like odie and a larger cup is easier for me ,also. Alot of welders prefer a flex head torch for 'walking but I have found that a fixed head is more uniform for me. The trick is in your wrist motion. I have a counter clock wise rotation of my wrist when 'walking the cup.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 07-08-2008 14:06
we were taught to walk the cup with a piece of sidewalk chalk, as that's  roughly the size of a tig cup and you can see how tight and even your lines are.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Cup Walk?