Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI knowledge?
- - By arcboy (*) Date 05-09-2007 21:52
I am a new CWI and have no certs other than level II VT.

How do you suggest that I go about learning as much as possible of all aspects of a good CWI, short of getting 20 years of experience?
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-09-2007 23:36
Get 19 years and 11 months worth of experience, I guess.  Some things you just can't learn in books.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-10-2007 14:13
There is no replacing 20 years. In 20 years you will agree. Study hard.
Parent - - By Inspectroleum (*) Date 05-10-2007 18:34
Arcboy,

There are many things you can do if you are serious about learning. Are you currently working in the inspection industry? Some companies fund classes and seminars. Do you have welding experience? There is nothing like learning how to make the welds you will be inspecting, you never forget what IP, wagon tracks, burn through, undercut, etc. look like once you make them yourself. How many welding processes are you proficient in welding?

How about non-destructive testing? RT, MT, PT, UT - There are some great places on the internet to get the basic understanding of NDE: http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/communitycollege.htm
And then there is destructive testing and failure analysis, not to mention the advanced NDE like AUT, Phased Array and computed radiography.

You must have a computer, how are your computer skills? Do you have Microsoft Word and Excel experience? Most shops are using these basic applications for everything from reporting, job tracking, weld logs, etc. How about AutoCAD, blue print reading, welding symbols? Report writing is another thing that can be practiced; I wish I would have paid a little better attention when I was in English class after reading some of the well versed people out there. The industry is moving more and more to computers so keep up with that.

How about materials and metallurgy? Do you know where to lookup material specs for plate, pipe, fittings, flanges and forgings? What about alloys? Mild steel, low alloy, high temp, stainless, austenitic, martenstic, 300 series, 400 series. How about dissimilar welds? What about heat treating?

What about in-service damage mechanisms and corrosion or fatigue?

Etc, etc, etc

My point is, you are entering a great field that you can spend a lifetime learning, take it one step at a time, follow what you like and you will have a great career, I think many people get into a kind of rut (for lack of a better word) because they are unwilling to learn something new... it takes effort and time to keep moving ahead and learning new skills and practices! It's easy to get into the "rut" of the same thing day after day. SO... don't stop learning!

Oh, and don't forget to pass on what YOU have learned.

John
Parent - - By arcboy (*) Date 05-10-2007 22:31
John,

Thanks for the information.  I have been welding for the past 7 years, mostly in production and custom fabrication.  I would like to get some pipe welding experience but nobody will hire me without experience.  I have some D17.1, B2.1, D1.1 certs but I am very interested in learning the pipe welding field.  I know how to weld pipe just not all the tricks that are included with this type of work.  I only want to learn this becasue I can see myself as a inspector in the pipeline industry.  I feel this would greatly help me in the future!

I will be a PT welding instructor in the fall and maybe start their new NDE program concentrating in UT, RT, PT.

The metallurgy, materials, fatigue, heat treating, etc... is what I lack most of my knowledge and this is where I really need to study.  Are there any good websites or books that can help me understand these topics.  I have used a steel metallurgy book that was about 2 inches thick and that was just steel.  I understand that I most likely never now everything but I crave knowledge of everything in the welding industry!

Please let me know of anything that will help quench my thirst for knowledge.
Parent - By Inspectroleum (*) Date 05-11-2007 11:49
Send an email to - oneredog at gmail dot com and I will email you some information on materials and pipelines.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-11-2007 16:35
I have to agree that there is no replacement for 20 years experience. However; there are some things you can do to kick start your knowledge base.
For a CWI, knowledge of welding processes is absolutely essential. The base knowledge required to pass the test, is at times insufficient. If you search the post here, you will find many stories from welders in regards to CWI's who made calls out of ignorance rather than knowledge and fact.
To be an inspector is to be a professional student, continued education is not an option for any inspector, it's mandatory if you wish to be good at what you do.

You need to learn how to weld, but also the physics behind it. Need to learn what codes are what and where, when, and how they apply, and constantly keep yourself updated on that information. Need to keep up with inspection technology. This later one is particularly important.

One of the absolute most important things to remember as an inspector: It doesn't matter who you are, how long you've been in it, there is always something more to learn that you do not know. Always be open minded and ready to take note of those things as they come along, assimilate all the knowledge you can hold, and take detailed notes and records for future posterity.

My two cents worth,
Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / CWI knowledge?