Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What TIG rod for milspec rifle barrel?
- - By dffay (*) Date 05-10-2007 16:46
Salvage guy that I am, I ran across an abused muzzle brake from a military rifle.  It needs to be mended and I can TIG it but what rod to use?  Its not a structural piece per se and doesn't have to withstand chamber pressure, but it is the muzzle blast and heat issue that it will need to deal with.  Whatcha guys and gals think?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-10-2007 17:43
Hello dffay, if this is for yourself I would say you could probably proceed and do as you deemed necessary to resurrect this piece. If it's for someone else I would have reservations. First off I would check it to see if it is hardened at all, take a file and file off some material in an inconspicious spot to determine this, if it doesn't appear to be hard, I would likely use either some ER70 S-2 or ER70 S-6. If it's hard you would probably need to see about annealing it first and then look into hardening and tempering after you finished the welding and clean-up. Just a few thoughts to consider. Regards, aevald
Parent - By dffay (*) Date 05-10-2007 19:14
It is for me.  I wouldn't send this one back into battle.  But I figured 70+ rod.  Thanks. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-12-2007 04:56
If this is a muzzle brake for a .50 cal, I'd do a bit more research on it.
Parent - - By dffay (*) Date 05-12-2007 13:57
7.62 actually.  But plenty of muzzle energy to brake.  Thanks--research underway.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What TIG rod for milspec rifle barrel?