Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Test Coupons
- - By TSchmidt (*) Date 05-11-2007 12:02
How long must a facility retain the weld test coupons after testing is completed and documented per D1.1
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-11-2007 15:35
There is NO such requirement. Is it a good idea ? Who knows. 
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-11-2007 15:38
I agree with Gerald. I had quite a collection from many years worth of testing...I gave in and threw them all away. Even after all these years, I have never had a request from anyone to see them.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-11-2007 16:57
They're excellent for educational and demonstrational purposes, but there is no requirement to keep them in any codes I am familiar with.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-12-2007 14:41
Good point. I do keep the failed ones sometimes. The fillet weld break specimens often reveal some interesting things on welds that visually looked good. The incomplete penetration at the root is always interesting.

Gerald
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-11-2007 19:10
Hello TSchmidt, as was said in other posts, AWS D1.1 doesn't require you to keep coupons after certification has taken place and a pass has been determined. I do structural testing in Washington State, they have a system of their own that goes by the name of WABO(Washington Association of Building Officials),  their "code" is based on AWS D1.1. They do have a requirement for me to retain coupons for a minimum of 6 months. I have been performing this testing for fourteen years and in that time the only time that I have had a reason to verify this practice is when WABO has performed certification audits on my facility. So, I get to catalog and retain all of the test coupons until their six month anniversary rolls around and then I can get rid of them. As was also mentioned, they do come in handy to illustrate to students and other interested individuals what constitutes a successful test coupon and what does not. Other than that, they are handy conversation pieces for those who are not of the welding field and wonder why they see all these funny U-shaped pieces setting on the shelves in my store room. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-11-2007 19:42
Besides, they make great paperweights, doorstops, and projectiles for flingin at the heads of recalcitrant welders (thinkin of New Tito here). Though I'm not advocating such action.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 05-12-2007 04:45
With the ease of digital photos I take pictues of each phase plate prep &fitup, root weld pass face of weld cut coupons, bend coupons and sve electronicly with the Qualification records. Oh yeah, thet also make handle holders, when I fab push cart tables I use 2 bend coupons on each side (side of cart with swivel casters) the weld .750" diameter rod across the span to be use as the carts push / pull handel :)
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-12-2007 12:25
Check with your QA manual, and look at your customers' QA as well.  One of our customers has a requirement that we keep all quality evidence of welder qualifications for 7 years, so to play it safe we keep everything.  The old ones are great for breaking, etching etc. 
Parent - - By tab_1999 (**) Date 06-18-2007 20:51
The only purpose they can serve is if you have an Engineering/Management group ( remote ) that can only stop in for audits of the testing program only periodically. Hang on to them for proof of failures for your HR to avoid possible, questionable terminations. etc. Also, samples of defects that are or are not acceptable for testers or training.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2007 14:10
Myself, unless required to do so would not hang on to them at all. There is always some prig that'll tool along wishing to make a spectacle of himself and second guess you.
The other issue is, a plant I worked at some years ago maintained at any given time more than 100 welders. We also had periods of hiring and laying off of course. And we did anything from Csteel to HSLE, to CrMo's, to Ti, to Al, SS, Ni alloys-GTAW, SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, SAW-manual, semi auto, machine, etc. The space I would need to hold all my welder qual coupons would look like Reliant Stadium. And I would need a staff the size of the US State Department to manage it. No thanks.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Weld Test Coupons