Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test coupon
- - By metalcoat (*) Date 05-11-2007 16:07
Suggest me sizes of plate to a make weld test coupon for Ss316L (plate) butt joint to qualify welder qualification and procedure qualification. Actual size of my flange is 80mm to welded to a hollow shaft of dia.250 mm.(ID 115 dia). Its a combination of double J groove weld with root welding  by GTAW and down hand welding by flux coated electrodes.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-11-2007 16:50
You talkin ASME Section IX?
Parent - By metalcoat (*) Date 05-13-2007 17:41
Yes, as per ASME section IX.
Parent - - By Mudassar Naveed Date 05-12-2007 09:45
You  can consult ASME Sec II,Part C, Specifications for welding rods, electrodes and filler metals, page 131, Artical A 9.3, this will clearly help you in preparing SS test coupen.

Regards,

Mudassar Naveed
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 13:58
The ideal qual coupon thickness, in my opinion, is actually that which will allow for the maximum allowable thickness for each process you intend on using. You need 3/4" deposit thickness to achieve the 8" max allowed for each process. For two processes this means 1 1/2" thick coupons. Getting thicker can give you more processes but it becomes rather unweildy from a test perspective and impractical from a cost perspective, especially for SS's. You can also qual your welders at the same time with the same coupon but I don't recommend it due to the reduced required thickness for performance quals, and positionality as an essential variable. If all you plan on qualifying is GTAW and FCAW then you can reduce the thickness considerably since I really cannot foresee the need to qual GTAW for 3/4".
The ideal performance qual, thickness, once again in my opinion, is a 6" XXS pipe in the 6G position. But you will generally need to qual with a smaller diameter pipe as well. 2" Sch 80/120/160 are the most popluar.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 14:54
js55, I agree, a 1.5" thick coupon is ideal for qualifying 2 separate welding processes (PQR).  Depending on the welder qualifications, ultimately a 1/2" thick coupon (whether plate or pipe) will provide unlimited thickness for the welder qualification however, it's important to document that at least 3 layers of weld have been deposited.

We use Super coupons in my shop: http://www.fischerengr.com/Testmatls.htm or http://www.trieng.com/
They provide maximum thickness and take the welder down to NPS 1"... good stuff and relatively inexpensive.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 15:42
Thank you Jon,
I forgot about the Super coupons that have become popular. Another supplier calls them Monster coupons. Thats the way to go for performance pipe quals.
Parent - By metalcoat (*) Date 05-15-2007 04:04
Thank you. That's very helpful...
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test coupon