Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Just took CWI exam
- - By welderwv (*) Date 05-11-2007 18:50
I just took the CWI exam.  Fundamentals - I feel real good.  D1.1 - I feel real good.  Practical - I am worried that it was too easy for me to have understood the questions correctly.  Now it took me pretty close to the full 2 hours to finish but most of the questions were simple.  I didn't have to measure the porosity because the questions told me to ASSUME they were a certian dimension.  My concern was that they didn't ask you if they were acceptable to visual qual. or RT qual.  and the criteria was different in my part B.  At least I think it was.  If a weld had 5 - 3/64" porosity in one inch of weld with no other porosity present according to part b visual it was under 3/8" in alinear inch and it was acceptable but if it was RT according to Appendix XVI Fig. 6.4 (non-metric) a 7/16" weld (which was the approximate weld size) would only allow around 1/8" discontinuity in 1 inch of weld.

The questions did not specify VT or Rt so was I correct to base my answers on the VT or did I F*** up on the practical!!!
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-11-2007 20:40
i remember a question like that. the tricky part was it was acceptable for 12" but not 1" or something like that. you had to watch what the question is asking specifically.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-12-2007 04:51
One question wrong I don't think is going to fail you. Though I don't recall any questions like that for RT. I would be surprised if it was RT criteria.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 05-16-2007 22:41
Worrying about it now won't help you.  Relax you'll find out if you passed and how well you did soon enough.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-18-2007 14:32
More like not soon enough for the results.  The whole test was visual inspection unless otherwise specified in the question so your good brotha!!  I think i screwed up in the measureing of the undercut and what they are determining as undercut and underfill.  The gouge was clear into the base metal in the underfilled portion of the weld so what do ya call it?  Later questions made me start second guessing myself on that question because of the answers in the questions to follow.  Also i was getting inbetween a 64th and a 32nd on some samples and didn't know what to put when they just asked how deep is the undercut A 1/64  B 1/32  C1/16TH.  Makes ya wonder huh!!
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 05-18-2007 18:05
Well the first couple of days I drove myself crazy going over the questions in my head again and again.  Finally I just told myself I did the best that I could do and that I felt good leaving the exam that day so I'll just take it from there.  I'll get the results in late June and until then I will just keeping working and trying not to think about it too much!!!
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-18-2007 19:30
Torture isn't it?
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 05-31-2007 13:18
where is "Appendix XVI".............????????
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 05-31-2007 13:33
It is in the Part B Specification that is used during the CWI exam.  IT IS NOT A REAL CODE!!  It is developed by AWS to be used during the hands on part of the test to see if you can find what you need to inspect welds.  AGAIN IT IS NOT A REAL CODE BOOK.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 05-31-2007 17:33
That was what kept throwing me. Seeing the question and thinking " I know that", then flashing to the reality that your not going by the actual code, then "oh,crap!!!!
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 06-04-2007 18:27
OK I just want to brag a little, I know its not very becoming but I am happy.  I got my scores in today and I got a 93% average on the CWI exam!!!! 
Parent - By waynekoe (**) Date 06-05-2007 14:43
Congratulations!
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-05-2007 16:23
I will say that is a VERY good score. Well Done.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 06-07-2007 17:17
Out-STANDING!  Now you'll probably never have to worry about a question like that again. (But it sure got you thinking and that's a good thing)
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 06-11-2007 03:11
93% average over all 3???
good job, you beat me....
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 06-11-2007 12:40
Yeah, beat me too.  I was at 89%.

Good job!!
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 06-12-2007 02:44 Edited 06-12-2007 02:47
Congratulations on passing and the good scores Welderwv and new tito!

We had a motivational seminar next to us during our practical applications.The folding partition separating us didn't have a chance. After the hooping and clapping finished all that I could hear was the high shrill voice of the speaker from next door. There was nothing in the inspection tool kit that could measure the high pitch or decibal level from her voice. The more I tried to ignore it, it was the only thing I could concentrate on. Then I started thinking about the thousands of dollars I had invested and it came down to this.

I felt good about the other two parts but you have to pass all three.

Two months later I was VERY happy to find out I passed with an 85% average.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Just took CWI exam