Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SMAW steel studs......
- - By JA (**) Date 05-12-2007 06:18
so the inspector comes along and finds someone welding down a 1" steel stud in the flat position using a 1/8th" lo/hy electrode....now what........?????????

D1.1-7.5.5.6............
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 05-12-2007 14:12
Only two choices:
1)  Qualify the welding procedure using 1/8" electrodes.
2)  Burn off the stud and weld, then reweld a new one on with the prequalified electrode diameter.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 05-13-2007 23:00
ok , heres my next question,,,,,,,,why is that.............????

lets look at the least of it all,,,,,,,,,,whats wrong with using a 1/8" electrode to weld down a 1/2" stud.....?
it only requires a 1/4" fillet,,,,,,,,,,you can run a beautiful 1/4" fillet around a 1/2" stud,,,,,,especially out of position,,,,,whats the problem with that.....?
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 05-15-2007 02:07
Not really a technical problem, just have to comply with the AWS prequalified requirements when using a prequalified WPS.  Anything else requires a procedure qualification.  As I've said before on other posts, D1.1 gets too mired up in the details and is very difficult to work to.  I'll take ASME any day over D1.1.  You may be able to get the "Engineer" to waive the requirement unless the compliance with D1.1 is mandated by local, state or federal laws applicable to the structure.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 05-15-2007 02:36
i understand what your saying Marty , its just that somewhere , someone came up with this,,,,,,someone has decided that a 1/8" electrode is too small to weld down a 1/2" steel stud,,,,,,,,,I'd just like to know "what" the reason is for that..........??????????

what could it possibly be....?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-15-2007 03:29
Only reason I can think of is possibly some engineering built in safety factor.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 05-15-2007 16:14
Go to the commentary and read C7.5.5. This will answer your questions.
Parent - - By JA (**) Date 05-16-2007 00:29
and there it is ,,,,,,,i had a feeling it would be if anything , some sort of heat input issue.......

thank you , i needed that........
you know , in knowing that , you would think that there would be a maximum fillet weld size or even specific size for each size stud since they don't want things heating up too much..........?????????

thanks everybody........
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 05-16-2007 15:58
Thats why they specify rod diameter and weld size. Too much heat is generally not the problem. But, a two pass 5/16" fillet made with a 5/32 lo/hy pretty much ensures that at least the "minimum" preheat will be met, allowing for a longer cool down and more hydrogen diffusion. Thats my theory anyhow. Hope it helps. Wayne
Parent - By JA (**) Date 05-17-2007 13:22
yes Wayne ,i've got it now ,  you've been a great help,,,,,,,thank you once again........
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / SMAW steel studs......