Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / different metals?
- - By monsoon12 (**) Date 05-13-2007 19:04
Hello all,i was asked a question the other day on welding different metals.My retention in my brain is limited lol so i did not have the answer right off the bat.The question was Can you weld brass,copper or bronze to mild steel?If you can what would be the process,tig,mig,stick or brazing?Thanks in advance for any opinions an if anyone know of any other threads on this subject.
monsoon12
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-13-2007 19:33
Hello monsoon12, the short answer is yes. There are many different filler wires for GTAW that will allow you to "weld" the brasses, bronzes, and coppers to steel, similarly there are various GMAW wires that will allow the same to be true for that process. As far as the SMAW process is concerned I'm a bit foggy on that one, but I also believe that is possible, I don't have a filler metals book handy to verify though. Brazing is also readily possible. I'm sure others who have had direct experience on this will chime in here. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2007 23:42
Allan is right.

Tell us about the service conditions and you will get more answers as to process and filler.
Parent - - By monsoon12 (**) Date 05-14-2007 01:28
Hey everyone thanks for helping out with this one.Basically it a round disc for a sign that will be welded to mild steel.The disc is about 6" in dia an about 3/8 thickness.The discs base metal i am unsure of right now im going to say though its some form of bronze.The base metal of the mild steel is same dia but thickness is about 3/4.The sign guy was having some trouble attaching it to the steel an asked the question if it could be welded.I have looked on the web an came up with a ERcual-a2 filler an some other info.My mission now is to find out for sure what the discs base metal is due to so many forms of bronzes.Though my main question has been answered that theses two different bases can be welded together.I will have more info tomorrow,thanks all,
   monsoon12
Parent - By monsoon12 (**) Date 05-16-2007 21:58
They decided not to weld it.Never found out the type of bronze it was though if we had looked into it we could have.Came out really nice though.I love things like this because now ive found info i never knew concerning bronzes.Thanks all,
  monsoon12
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / different metals?