Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Sequence-PQR
- - By Julius Date 05-13-2007 22:55
Generally speaking, during production welding on CS heavy walls, is it really mandatory to apply 100 percent the sequence as shown by the PQR sketch? Anyone, please share your comments. Thank you.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-13-2007 23:33
Hello Julius, if the materials are made up of some specific alloys that are heat sensitive or have other issues related to their welding then the PQR sequence definitely has a purpose. There is also a process of welding referred to as "Temper Bead Welding", if this has been employed during the set-up of the PQR, changing things would defeat the purpose of the process and cause detrimental effects to the weld and parent material.
     If the materials aren't sensitive to the above mentioned type of parameters then slightly altering weld sequence or number of passes due to operator differences(one welder runs smaller beads than another one, or runs filler passes that utilize the maximum allowable width and thickness values allowed by the code), may not cause detrimental effects and be considered acceptable. You will likely have other responses and hopefully have your question answered fully. My $.02 worth. Regards, aevald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 14:55
Julius,
I would say that for any alloy, in my opinion, the answer is that it depends on what your WPS says. Regardless of code requirements(assuming ASME), of which bead sequencing is NOT one, you have to follow your WPS. If you wrote your WPS as to the sequencing being mandatory, then it is mandatory. For CS I would suggest rewriting the WPS to ensure that it is as a general suggestion, or non existent even. You do not need to requal for bead sequncing. It isn't even a non-essential variable under ASME Section IX.
Bead sequencing is notoriously difficult to manage and fine tune (there is just too much variability in wall thickness, out of roundness, and diamters) and unless you have a specific reason to do so, such as Allen suggested for temper beading, through thickness hardnesses and such, I wouldn't even bother with it for carbon steel. My opinion.
Parent - By Julius Date 05-14-2007 19:46
aevald and js55,

Appreciated so much for what you had shared.regards.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-17-2007 21:58
You didn't specify what welding code or standard you are working with. Your question was specifically on carbon steel. You didn't define the wall thickness, carbon equivalency, application, etc., so the following reply is very generic.

My experience is that most welding standards or codes use the PQR as a demonstration that the base metal / filler metal combination will produce the minimum mechanical properties required by the welding standard. Most people actively involved in welding recognize that varying the welding parameters, i.e. voltage, amperage, travel speed, etc. has minimal affect on meeting the minimum mechanical properties, i.e., tensile strength, provided a sound weld is achieved. That is not to say they have no affect on the mechanical properties.

Other properties, such as notch toughness, are affected by the welding parameters that  influence the heat input and grain size. That being the case, the welding parameters are controlled when toughness is a design consideration.

Groove details do not affect the strength of the weld provided the welds are sound. The purpose of the groove is to provide access to the root and to achieve the necessary joint penetration.

Weld bead placement is not going to have a major impact on meeting the minimum tensile strength required by the welding standard. Bead placement can affect the final distortion of a welded component, but that is not relevant to the discussion of mechanical properties.

If the discussion pertained to high strength quenched and tempered steels, bead placement relative to the "temper bead technique" would be relevant. However, you simply stated you are welding carbon steel, a rather broad range of materials, so a discussion on Q&T steels isn't necessarily relevant.

The production WPS is based on production requirements and the results of the PQR and any lessons learned while going through that process. The individual (a welding engineer perhaps) tasked with writing the WPS must understand and appreciate all the influencing factors affecting the final welding operation. A WPS that meets all the "code" requirements may be useless as a welding work instruction if the individual writing it doesn't fully appreciate or understand what is being welded and how it will be used. The groove details of the production WPS may not be the same as that used for the PQR. As an example; the PQR may have utilized a single V-groove, while the production weld is a single pass fillet weld. Clearly, bead placement isn't a factor. On the other hand, if the component being welded is Q&T steel, bead placement and heat input may affect the tensile strength and notch toughness of the completed weld.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-18-2007 20:03
What about if you qualify a WPS with a groove weld that will qualify you in some fillet welds.  Your bead sequence is going to be different in the lets say 1" groove plate then it will be on a 3/8" plate fillet weld on that specific material.  How does that work?  not trying to steal the thread or anything, but maybe it will help us both out.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-21-2007 13:48
Kix,
If I'm understanding your question I would say that unless you have some specific mechanical or metallurgical reason to have a concern for the sequencing of beads I wouldn't specify it in the WPS. Even with fillets on plate there can be variability, for example if the parts don't fit the same each time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Welding Sequence-PQR