Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / I have a question for you CWI's..
- - By Kix (****) Date 05-14-2007 12:29
  Ok here's the question in the best way i can put it.  You have a 3/8" plate PJP(i guess) single v groove test plate.  Does not state welder nor procedure test plate not that it matters.  The joint has about a 1/2" section that is underfilled with a spot of clear undercut where the arc gouged a chunk out of the plate.  Question is with that being the deepest part of undercut and it being in the underfilled spot would you measure there or the undercut on the rest of the plate?  Basically i'm asking is that undercut thrown out because it's in the underfilled spot or would you stll measure it and count it?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-14-2007 12:34 Edited 05-14-2007 12:57
What was the actual question?..... and what criteria did they give you to use for acceptance or rejection?
This question was from the practical portion?

I ask this because it would help you make your decision as how to inspect this.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-14-2007 14:03
If I'm reading your question right, I see the underfill part as being counted as "undersize weld".  Undercut could also be in the same spot, but I would not necessarily count it because the undercut is being caused by the under size weld, and any lack of fill on a butt joint would not be acceptable.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-14-2007 14:42
yes this was in the hands on plastic weld samples and we had to go by part B specifications.  Well, the question was about undercut and undercut is undercut in my book and i was never told not to measure undercut in an underfilled joint so i did and i probably got that question wrong.  I totally see where your coming from about the undercut being caused by the underfill.  Undercut in a fillet weld is nothing but not enough weld metal in the joint.  So how is a guy thats never inspected before suppose to know not to measure a big ol chunk of undercut caused by an arc gouge in an underfilled spot.  The undercut went clear outside of the bevel so it was easily measured and really not part of the underfill in my book, but who's book do ya go buy?  I didn't have the guy that made the test teaching us how to measure his plastic weld samples.  Those samples probably had 12 CWI's sitting around them saying i see a 1/64" of undercut and the next guys says but my gauge is splitting the 1/64 and 1/32 mark and the last guy says well i'm seeing a 1/32 on my guage.  So then they flip a quarter and say we'll call it a 64th.  Who knows maybe these samples where measured with that new laser inspection to get the answer right on the money. Then you got lil ol me comeing along and using an undercut gauge totally unaccurate compared to a laser and i'm spliting the 1/64 and 1/32 mark and i guess wrong.  Don't know if i did, but i'm just saying i had to guess with your answers being A 1/64   B1/32   C 1/16   D no undercut.  You sit there and wonder if you have enough time to go up and down the whole seam on both sides every mm checking to make sure there is not one clear spot that has 1/32 so ya do anyway and all u find is where it splits the line, but ya still second guess yourself wondering if you accidently skipped over the one little spot.  Just a few of those second guessing yourself questions wondering what the guy got that made the test and your allowed 13 wrong so hopefully i'm in the ballpark.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 05-14-2007 16:27
I would still measure the undercut in that area, but it's kind of a waste of time since the underfill needs to be repaired no matter what.  That's the practical side, now what was the "right" answer..........Just like the group you had looking at the samples, everyone had their own interpretation, such is the inspection world, "open to interpretation".  We all play with the same rules, we just all look at them differently.  I remember on my practical test, all of the samples were right on the verge of acceptance, and could have gone either way.  I went with my best interpretation, and ended up scoring MUCH better than I had thought.
Just relax, and don't second guess every answer you put on the test, you did fine.  I would bet you will be surprised when you get your actual scores and see how well you actually did (provided you spent the night time studying, and not in the lounge :)
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-14-2007 17:07
don't know the right answer and probably never will.lol  It was on the final test on saturday..
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / I have a question for you CWI's..