Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / full pin test
- - By pat31 (*) Date 05-14-2007 22:25
anyone have any suggestions on making the root pass tie into the backing bar without running stringer beads.i am using .045 fluxcore wire with 75/25 gas. its  A36 steel grade
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-14-2007 23:12
Pat,

Whats wrong with a stringer bead for your root pass?   Pretty common actually.

What is your:

Material thickness?

Root opening?

Bevel angle?
Parent - - By pat31 (*) Date 05-15-2007 01:32
material is 1'' thick, root opening is 1/8" ,bevel is 45degrees,my backing bar is 3/8x3
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-15-2007 04:18
Hello pat31, the 1/8" root opening sounds a bit tight, 1/4" is a more traditional specification on the root opening for that plate thickness/bevel angle configuration and process type. I can see 2 issues that could be a factor for having a tough time with the particular set-up that you're describing, you'll have a hard time keeping your stick-out short enough without having to go to a special tip/nozzle combination(many guns will have a nozzle that has an internal diameter of 3/4", next offering is typically 5/8", then there is one that is even smaller but it requires using a special contact tip along with the special nozzle). Due to the 1/8" root opening it is real common for the root bead to bridge over the backing bar, tie into the two edges of the plate and not tie into the backing bar, in the process a large amount of slag can be trapped underneath. Using a standard nozzle with the bevel/root configuration that you have described will force you to run such a long stick-out for the root that you will possibly see a lot of wander in the wire position due to the cast that is in the wire and the long distance that is being held from the contact tip to the weld pool, you may also notice that the burn that you normally see on the end of the wire isn't as consistent as it is when you are welding with the 1/2" to 5/8" stick-out that you usually would run. If you then have to run this same plate set-up in the overhead position it can be even worse.
     If allowed I would increase the root gap to 1/4" and use a 5/8" diameter nozzle, I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with the ease with which this combination will make for welding the root in. A few thoughts for consideration, good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 05-15-2007 13:02
I am sure if you follow Aevalds recommendations you will be in good shape.

I have a question on your WPS.
Is this a prequalified joint procedure?  Does the WPS actually specify a 1/8" root opening?
An AWS BU2a-GF joint allows for detailing a minimum root opening of 3/16" (with shielding gas). 
A fit up tolerance could be applied at (+1/4", - 1/16")  so technically a WPS detailing a 3/16" root could allow for a 1/8" root opening "As Fit Up", by applying the -1/16" fit up tolerance. 
My point is that the WPS is likely prequalified, and it should specify at least a minimum of a 3/16" root opening, (and also suggest you detail the WPS with a 1/4" root, and a 45deg included angle).

Like Aevald explained, and (fig 4.21 shows for the welder qualification coupon), a 1/4" root opening will likely solve your problems.
Parent - By pat31 (*) Date 05-16-2007 00:34
thanks for the help, i will definitely allow 1/4" opening and adjust to a smaller nozzle.that was exactly the problem it seemed as if though it was impossible for me to make the root tie in with the larger nozzle, like you said the stickout was way to much.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / full pin test