Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working pressure for 6 MFJ rose bud heating tip.
- - By norcalwelder (**) Date 05-15-2007 22:05
Guys I need some help with this. I'm trying to get our swather ready and I need to bend a 1.5"x 9.5" strip. I have the rosebud, but whats the pressure?
Thanks
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-15-2007 22:27 Edited 05-15-2007 22:30
Hello norcalwelder, that sounds like a Victor tip designation number. If you want the exact pressures that Victor recommends for that tip you can likely Google the Victor website and find that information out. I don't have ready access to my charts at the moment.
      Also consider the 1/7th rule when you are looking to operate this heating tip, if you're unfamiliar with this, it has to do with the draw-off rate for Acetylene from various capacities of bottles. Acetylene can only escape from a particular size of bottle at a specific "Cubic Feet Per Hour Rate", if you exceed this rate you will start pulling the acetone out of the bottle and risk ruining the hoses and regulator components. Each tip size has a CFH consumption rate that can be mathematically compared to the size of bottle that you are using to see if it is safe to use. I'll give an example: if you have a large commercial type acetylene bottle that has 350 written on the outside of it, that indicates the contents of the bottle, dividing 350 by 7 will equal 50, the 50 would indicate the CFH consumption rating that could safely be drawn from that cylinder. As long as the tip you're using requires less than 50, the bottle will support the use of that tip, if the tip that you try to use has a rating greater than the 50 in this case, you would need to manifold an additional bottle or bottles together until the CFH rating for the bottles was greater than the consumption of a particular tip or application. This is something that many individuals out in the trade or dabbling in welding aren't readily aware of. Hope this has helped some. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-16-2007 04:25
From Victor lit. #6 MFA-J should run at 8-10 PSIG Acetylene & 10-15 PSIG Oxygen. The fuel consumption will be from a min. of 14 CFH to a max. of 40 CFH. If the tank pressure drops way off, or the flame getts funny colored, or the tip pops and gets hard to work with You are over the 1/7 rule for sure.
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 05-16-2007 14:38
OK I have a 75cf or so tank. The rosebud came with it... It works out to about 10cfph I think. So would I want to keep it short? Should I go for it?
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 05-16-2007 22:42
Should I just use the cutting attach. and make sure I dont hit the oxy? This is the job i'm doing.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/norcalwelder/089.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q263/norcalwelder/090.jpg[/IMG]
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-16-2007 22:54
Hello again norcalwelder, if you took notice of the information that DaveBoyer posted on this it gives a range that the tip you have will operate in. You could use this tip but keep in mind the warning signs for overdrawing the cylinder, also run your flame intensity on the lower end of it's range and for limited periods of time. As you just said in this last post, you could probably use your cutting tip and make sure not to activate the cutting lever. From what I've seen in the pictures that you posted it isn't really going to take all that much heat to bend the parts that I see and your cutting tip might be just the ticket to get it done. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 05-17-2007 00:52
What the heck is a swather?  When I read your first post I thought you meant 1.5 thick by 9 wide but the pictures seem to show 1/4 thick or so by 1.5 wide.  You should have no trouble heating it with a cutting attachment.  If it's mild steel it will probably bend cold.  It wouldn't be a bad job if you cut the strip where the bend goes, weld the two pieces on and then reweld the cut spot.
Bill
Parent - - By norcalwelder (**) Date 05-17-2007 00:58
A swather is a thing that cuts hay and smashes the stems and lays it in a windrow.
Sry i should have been more specific. 1/4 in thick x 1.5" wide x 9" long.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-17-2007 03:33
You can get a lot more flow from the cilinder than the 1/7 rule indicates, but for a short time only. If You do them 1 at a time, turn the torch off between parts and let the tank rest for a while if You start to have problems You will be OK. A big cutting tip could draw as much or more fuel, so the same problems can still come up. If You want a sharp bend, the cutting tip or a welding tip will give a narrower hot area than the rosebud.
Parent - By norcalwelder (**) Date 05-17-2007 21:23
Thanks guys. I just used the cutting attach. Any tips on using 7018 AC?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Working pressure for 6 MFJ rose bud heating tip.