Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / self shielded flux core wire
- - By mont937 Date 05-16-2007 00:35
today i had a weld test and i hadn't ran self shielded wire before.  it was on galvanized steel but i couldn't figure if my stickout was too short or too long.  they wouldn't give me a piece of scraap to check with, but i didn't do bad.  but it was only a 2 week gig.  i run gas shielded no problem but i've got the nozzle to gage with.  and my sh** i mean miller helmet kept cutting out.  by the time i was done i couldn't see nothing
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 05-16-2007 11:20
Typically the stickout for a self shielded FCAW wire will need to be longer than for gas shielded FCAW.  In some cases as much as 1" (larger diameters) but certainly 1/2"  Were there no manufacturer recommendations available?
Parent - By beamwauker Date 05-17-2007 22:34
on that galvanized i run real hot with fc.  that stuff sputters and splashes all over the place but i like to see it burn out of there.  about 1/2 inch is good stick out but no more than 1 inch imho
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / self shielded flux core wire