Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding while standing in water ?
- - By jer (**) Date 05-16-2007 02:36
A man called my shop and asked if his guys were in water and in waders could they weld on a retaining wall without being zapped ?
Parent - By gndchuck (**) Date 05-16-2007 03:36
For underwater welding we use rubber dish gloves, you still feel a little tingle but you don't get bit.

Charles Welch
Parent - By Sparkee (*) Date 05-17-2007 01:49
On a regular basis, I stand in mud/water up to my knees welding conductor pipes and well heads under drilling rigs. I wear rubber boots and have no problem getting zapped......unless my gloves get wet.....then I switch to rubber gloves.     Sparkee
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 05-20-2007 16:21
this is not neccesarily an underwater weld but if you followed some of the same rules you would be ok. use DC striaght polarity electrode negative (and a compatable rod 6010 or 6011 should work alright) and wear rubber gloves make sure the wadders don't have any holes in them. I always found that those half in and half out of the water welds were the hardest to make but not impossible.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-21-2007 20:06
I've also welded in cellars and mud tanks on rigs. As long as you are not wet and touch your work directly, you're fine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding while standing in water ?