Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracking problem seen at ER 70 - S 6
- - By gaydonat (*) Date 05-16-2007 08:41
  We are welding 1/2 '' thick low Mn alloy steel plate with plain carbon steel with ER 70 - S6. The problem is it cracks along the weld zone longitudionally. It is not a rigid construction we lowered the heat input down to 40 Kj/inch but cant solve cracking problem.We are thinking to preheat the structure but it creates a cost so seems to be second choice. The chemical anaysis are in standard values. But % Mn and Si values are close to upper boundary values. We are standing over whether Calcium and Boron ratios can create this problem. Waiting for your help.

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 05-16-2007 11:25
Is the cracking in the center of the weld bead, or along the toe of the weld - and if along the toe, which side (Mn or CS)?

Do you have a spec reference on the "low Mn alloy steel?"  It sounds like there may be more manganese - or other elements - than might be expected and if so, 70S-6 might not be the right choice.
Parent - By gaydonat (*) Date 05-16-2007 12:02
The crack occurs along the centerline of weld zone so we can call it solidification crack (hot crack).
C        Si      Mn        P            S 
0.08   0.90   1.70   <0.025   <0.025  

Low alloy Mn steel has very similar composition with the wire.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2007 12:08
Could the joint configuration be a factor. Too High of a depth to width ratio?

Also in a couple of cases, I have seen centerline cracking on carbon steel welds on material that was on or attached to operating equipment that was vibrating. Turning the adjacent equipment off stopped the problem immediately.
Parent - - By sean32 (*) Date 05-16-2007 13:26
What process are you using?
Parent - - By gaydonat (*) Date 05-16-2007 13:39
GMAW (M21 gas)
Parent - - By M-Squared (**) Date 05-16-2007 13:59
I would switch to an ER70S-3 wire in lieu of the -6 wire. The -3 wire is lower in Si which may be your problem. The type of cracking you are talking about is associated with transverse shrinkage stresses during solidification of the weld metal, and often takes place in alloys rich in low melting point impurities, or low ductile elements such as silicon combinations.

Typically, these constituents are low melting point constituents such as Sulfur, Phosphorus, and in this case -I believe-low ductile silicon combinations.  The low melting point constituents, and/or low ductile silicon combinations are typically left along the grain boundaries as these are the last parts of the weld to solidify.  As the weld solidifies and starts to cool down, transverse shrinkage stresses are introduced, the grain boundaries with the layer of low melting point constituent and/or low ductile silicon combinations (usually situated in the center of the weld) can no longer take the stress and separate from each other creating a crack along the center line of the weld.

In addition to changing to a -3 wire you may want to entertain changing gas as well. You might try a 85%Ar-15% Co2 or an 90%Ar-10%Co2. This will create a shallower weld penetration and produce a more parabolic weld bead profile. This would address the concern of the depth to width ratio concern that was mentioned in a previous post by pipewelder-1999

Hope this helps.

Mark M
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-16-2007 15:21
S-6 can centerline crack with too low of depth to width ratios as well. The tranverse restriant, as M-Squared mentioned, will increase with member size, and thin passes can pull apart (though it is unusual with CS). S-3 is an option, since it will bridge a little better, if you are doing grooves, but you might try heavier beads.
And although seldom (I've never heard of it) an issue with CS's, a low manganese steel could vary the Mn/S ratio leaving more S in the weld metal (even though it is still reported as <.025) as diluted from the base metal.
It could be acombined phenomena. Restraint, increased S from dilution, thin beads, etc.
Parent - - By welder53 (*) Date 05-16-2007 16:01
gaydonat, if you were to do a search on GMAW in this forum, you will find that alot of us welders have had problems with the GMAW process with more than 1 or 2 passes.  I find GMAW is OK for the first pass, but after that it really doesn't have good fusion into the sidewall.  I once did a procedure on GMAW pipe (5/8" wall), all four pieces seperated from the base metal.  The xray passed, but the bends failed.
Put the first pass in GMAW and then complete the rest with FCAW or MCAW.
Good-Luck
Parent - - By gaydonat (*) Date 05-17-2007 05:32
Thanks all for your help

I will try FCAW with %100 CO2 after first pass. Do you think Calcium and Boron ratios in the WIRE could create this kind of problem even they are very low in composition.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-17-2007 19:49
I doubt it. To my understanding calcium (present usually as calcium carbonate) will dissociate from the carbon and oxygen and float to the top in slag as the the C and O outgasses as either CO or CO2. Boron, though not reportable, unless exceeding certain limits in combination with other elements, would probably not be there in volumes enough to cause cracking. But this is sure a great point of discussion. Hopefully more will chime in here.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracking problem seen at ER 70 - S 6