Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Software
- - By TSchmidt (*) Date 05-16-2007 18:41
Does anyone have any certain software that they have used or prefer to use to keep certification records, for tracking the qualifications of individuals. I'm primarily looking for software that is user friendly (aren't we all) and will be able to work with our network. I currently am using ArcWorks by Lincoln Welding but the software is so old that it is very unstable with our network, sometimes you can access it sometimes not. I would appreciate greatly any help that some of you more seasoned veterans in this field could give me.

Thanks
Tony
Parent - - By sean32 (*) Date 05-16-2007 20:40
I looked into several proprietary programs but none of them were really what I was looking for. Some of them were not user friendly. I agree with you that that is the most important feature. Some of them had too much information or too little. I opted to design my own database using Microsft Access. If you or someone in your company is fluent with this program that will probably be your best bet. Or at least that is my opinion.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-16-2007 21:10
If you decide to go with building your own, I have a few that can help you get started or give you some ideas on what you like and don't like.

I myself like C-spec.

Gerald
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-18-2007 14:41
Yeah C-SPEC is the biz and you can go to there site and download a sample to get an idea of what it can do, but keep in mind that the sample is nothing like what the real software can do.  I tried to get my company to buy into C-SPEC but it's pretty pricey and they think they can get Microsoft access to do pretty much the same thing.  However Microsoft access will not help you in typing up WPS's and PQR's.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 05-19-2007 04:08 Edited 01-19-2008 19:44
Microsoft Access is a pretty powerful development tool for desktop and SMALL network databases. A Welding Procedure database developed by professional programmers (C-Spec) is going to have more bells and whistles than one developed by an end user that is fluent in Access.Visual Basic for Applications allows the user to customize forms to allow various events to happen. Access Databases work great for storing and retrieving welding information.

The advantage of a home made application is the ability to link and import data from various formats into your database. The disadvantage is the tremendous amount of time it takes to develop your own application and then debugging it.

Y'all have a nice day

Gerald
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-18-2007 16:57
I also designed my own databases with Access.  It takes a little time, but I can control how much information to include for my small group of guys.  If we hire a bunch more I'll probably be looking for something a little more comprehensive.

On a side note, does anyone here use any form-filling tools on PC for creating WPS and WPQTR?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-18-2007 17:10
http://www.nuance.com/omniform/

I use Omniform. You can scan in a form, or create your own. I use fill text boxes for info that the form user can fill in, (ie, welder's name, welder's stamp, etc...)and the rest of the repetitious is hard text and is uneditable except in design mode.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-18-2007 17:31
Lincoln has some freeware that you can get for typing up WPS's and PQR's.  It's called arcworks.  I'm in the process of trying to get it right now.
Parent - - By graveyhog (*) Date 01-16-2008 17:55
Ha did your every find this software by lincolin and if you did is any good.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-16-2008 18:15
Yes, and i'm using it right now.  It's really pretty easy to use.
Parent - - By graveyhog (*) Date 01-16-2008 21:26
where can you get a copy of it or the download of the software.Using excel know and was wondering about trying some software.I have seen all the demo versions online and c-spec,wps america,etc.I had heard of the arcworks by lincoln and wondering if there was some bootleg copies out there.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-17-2008 13:13
I don't have the link, but I can e-mail it to you.  If I can find the link i will post it up. You have a PM.
Parent - - By Taintedhalo (*) Date 01-18-2008 12:59
We have Arcworks and CEI. The nice one with CEI is it allows you to Esign and save copies as PDF's make life easier when you have to give your customer a copy of your PQR's WPS's and WQTR's. It has full code checking on AWS and ASME. Heres the site.
http://www.computereng.com/
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-18-2008 13:08
Here's a few links for arcworks software.

AWS D1.1          http://arcworks.lincolnsupport.com/files/D11v25a1.exe
AWS D1.5          http://arcworks.lincolnsupport.com/files/D15v21c1.exe
ASME Section IX   http://arcworks.lincolnsupport.com/files/aixv25a.exe
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-18-2008 13:55
Hey Ray,

Those are EXE files.... Does Lincoln give that stuff away as freeware?

I usually know about all the good free stuff out there..
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 01-18-2008 20:01 Edited 01-18-2008 20:18
If I where to fwd you the e-mail like I did everyone else it wouldn't make ya so nervous to download this.  I got these from one of my connections at Lincoln.  I just posted it because I said i would.  Oh and yes this is freeware. I can e-mail you the rest of the goodies if you'd like.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 03-30-2009 02:34
Kix, is it still possible to email the arc works software links?
My home desktop crashed so I got a Mac and the above links don't seem to be compatible after downloading it.
My laptop was stolen last week with the software on it and the above links are not compatible with the new laptop (it's a PC) something to do with 64 bit/32 bit conflict. Arc Works was fine for what I used it for.
With all the $$ spent on computers I hope I don't have to spend much or any on the software. Thanks
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-30-2009 15:49
I sure can! Pm me the addy you would like it sent to.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-31-2009 01:37
PM sent and thanks alot!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-18-2008 20:08
Lar,
They(Lincoln) did put those links there as freeware....but the catch is (I was told) that they don't offer any support for it any longer...you are on your own. I found a few kinks  or bugs in those, but they do work. Someone gave me those links a long time ago when they first became available at no charge and I tried them.
Parent - By jamwin Date 05-08-2008 16:07
We offer ASME Section IX Welder Licensing software - it's mainly designed for jurisdictions, and it is not free, but it is excellent.

James

james.windsor@basebridge.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Software