Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / From ASME B31.8 to ASME VIII DIV.1
- - By maxilimiano (**) Date 05-17-2007 07:57
to All..

" An Authorized pressure vessel inspect and certify existing Pig Launcher (Design using ASME B31.8)". Because in my Country, government has regulation..every 3 years, pressure vessel shall be inspected by Authorized PV Inspector (Certify by Government) to obtain certificate for operation..of course I use API 510 for existing PV and 572 for HE...If my client has Pig Launcher (Name plate use B31.8 code), then he want to certify that launcher to Pressure Vessel, What should I do?? Is it legal or no ? (In my opinion, an inspector can certify and inspect somthing, if he has been passed written practice about that code)..
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 05-17-2007 12:26
If your current inspector is considered a Commissioned Inspector in the country where the pig launcher is located, ask him if he is authorized to inspect under the item under the jurisdictional rules.  He/she should know whether or not he/she is authorized.

If not, ask him//her to recommend someone.

Over here (Maine), an Authorized Inspector for pressure vessels is not automatically authorized to inspect API tanks.  In order to qualify for tanks, a separate endorsement on their credentials is required.

Hope it helps.
Charles Hall
Parent - By maxilimiano (**) Date 05-20-2007 06:21
Thanks a lot

I am still confuse about code for construction, I want to use ASME VIII, but Code Construction is B 31.8..So, I use B31.8 for design calculation..But list of material Stress spec between B31.8 and ASME VIII is different..ASME VIII use ASME II PART D for Max allowable stress (S) for calculation, and Pig launcher use SMYS at B31.8 for calculation. for example..."Launcher use material API 5L-X52 ; if I use ASME VIII, I can't make calculation with that because API 5L is not in ASME PART II D. And to determine the reducer section(conical ), I use ASME VIII for conical head..but I got trouble again to find value of Max Allowable Stress (S)"

thanks before.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / From ASME B31.8 to ASME VIII DIV.1