Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FlawTech Samples
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-17-2007 14:02
Would like some feed back concerning the MT, PT, and UT flaw samples before I purchase them.
Parent - - By dmilesdot (**) Date 05-17-2007 15:46
I worked in the Nuclear inspection field for about 15 years and the flaw tech specimens were by far the best I have ever seen.  There are other companies out there that sell them cheaper but flaw tech is, in my opinion, the best.  
Dave
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 05-17-2007 16:24
Thanks! Sending out the requisition right now.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-17-2007 16:50
Dave

As far as I could find, there are only two companies making flawed samples.  Flaw Tech is one and there is another company nearby.  If you know any other names, could you let me know please.
Parent - By Inspectroleum (*) Date 05-18-2007 04:45
There is another company that builds very high quality flawed specimens for NDE testing and training, the company is: Sonaspection International Ltd. The link to their website is: http://www.sonaspection.com/products.html

They recently built a special flawed specimen sample for me of a pressure vessel nozzle for ultrasonic shearwave reference and training. Sonaspection also built all the sets of test specimens for the API QUTE exam: http://www.api.org/certifications/icp/programs/api-qute.cfm

Sonaspection International Ltd. specimens are very high quality, the person I dealt with was professional and the documentation package included a complete serialized specimen with 3 flaws that I specified, full set of MTR's and flaw maps. I have also spent many training hours on other Sonaspection QUTE sets and also a set of Flawtech samples, my experience is both companies build high quality samples and provide very good documentation packages.

John
Parent - By dmilesdot (**) Date 05-18-2007 17:43
Joe, the only other company that I know of that makes samples is Trueflaw LTD in Finland. They are the European equivilent of our Flawtech
Parent - - By rodrod (*) Date 05-18-2007 16:29
Sir
We have 15 samples of UT specimen made by FlawTech, The indication is very good because it is very easy to evaluate the discontinuities. The only problem that i had encounter that there Answersheet of all there Sample specimens is not accurate. For examples they indicate in there answer sheet around 80mm Length of Lack of Fusion but if you are going to verify it by RT the fusion is more than 90 mm Length, The depth in answer sheet is 8mm, but if you are going to check the depth by means of UT the depth is 5,6,7,8,9,10mm, what i mean is that they only give you the average depth and not the specific depth of discontinuities. It is better also to verify the samples after you are purchase it. But I would consider to buy other brands.
Parent - By rodrod (*) Date 05-18-2007 16:33
PT & MT samples of Flawtech is also good, but i would consider or suggest to buy Sherwin samples.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FlawTech Samples