Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I passed the CWI and found out in 2 weeks Heres the loophole
- - By welderwv (*) Date 05-19-2007 15:24
First of all I want to brag: I PASSED THE CWI/CWE TEST!!!!  It was the hardest test I ever took!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
I am so relieved because I left the test feeling good but kept second guessing my answers in the days to come.  In fact I posted yesterday and said that I just wasn't going to worry any more about it until I got my results.  BUT TODAY I DISCOVERED THAT MY THEORY IN FINDING OUT IF YOU PASSED OR NOT WORKS!!!!

I took the test on May 5th and I found out I passed today May 19th .  Bear with me and I will tell you how to find out if you passed in this time frame.

The CWI QUICK CHECK requires you to put in the CWI number to check the status of the inspector.  Here is the formula:  1st 2 numbers are the year (07) the next 2 numbers are the month (06) for June.  I took the test in May and the certification is valid starting the first day of the month following the month you took the test in so my 1st 4 numbers are 0706.

The next 3 numbers are random but they are sequential.  So start with 001, 002, 003 and so on.  The month of June (06) for CWI goes up to 100 in these next 3 numbers.

The last number is the Cert classification.  A #1 or a 3 is for CWI,  a 2 or 4 is for CAWI, and an 8 is for SCWI.

So if you took the test in May of 2007 start with 07060011 for CWI or 07060012 for CAWI or 07060018 for SCWI.

I figured this out last week but June (0706) didn't have any valid numbers yet but this morning it DID.  It took awhile but my name popped up with the number 1 in the last digit so I passed the CWI!!!!!

I started and just type in the sequential numbers until I found my name.

I hope this helps those for are anxiously waiting for the results!!

Note 1: I do not know how long it typically takes to get the numbers into the AWS system after they grade your test so if your name doesn't show up it in either classification it doesn't mean you didn't pass it just may be too early.

Note 2:  Find the last entry and work your way back.  If you type in 07062001 and it shows an invalid entry go to 07061501 then 07061251 and so on until a name shows up.  This morning 0706 was up to 100 in the CWI or #1 in the last digit.

2 weeks is so much better than 6 to 8 weeks.

But I am still waiting for my scores.

I love loopholes!!!!!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 05-21-2007 13:52
BRILIANT!!!!!!  Well, i guess a congratulations is in order so Congratulations.  I took mine the weekend after you so i guess i have to wait another week.  Man i'm kind of scared to find out now. 
Parent - By RANDER (***) Date 05-21-2007 14:19
Congrats, I tried the same technique after 4 weeks but the numbers weren't posted yet. 
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 05-21-2007 15:14
Well congrats on both accomplishments.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-22-2007 10:33
CONGRATS MAN FOR SURE!!!!!!!!  

But maybe you should consider a career as a hacker or for the CIA instead...with that kind of intuituveness you could go far@!!!!!!!
Parent - By mongoose Date 07-19-2007 00:47
Way to go welderwv!!  I share your enthusiasm.  It's such a great feeling to find out all the hard work paid off.  I never would have thought to check for results the way you did.  I guess I was one of the lucky ones....I received my results only 12 days after the exam date.  Probably a bit unusual.  Again, congrats!!

~mongoose~
Parent - By shipfitter88 (*) Date 08-27-2007 22:29
welderwv,

Thanks for your loophole, I took the exam in August and today I tried your method and it works great. I passed the CWI test!!!!!!!! What a load off my mind.

Thanks again
Parent - - By cporter Date 09-25-2007 19:10
Where can I find the CWI QUICK CHECK reference area to punch in the formula? THanks
Parent - By cporter Date 09-25-2007 19:15
Disregard I found it from the Certification Tab of the AWS website.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-25-2007 19:27
In addition to the CWI exam, I went through the NACE exam which is the paint version of petrifying exams, anyway they had a system to check your staus online...you simply looked up the exam date on their website and punch in a code that was issued to you after you finished the exam along with a password that happened to be the last 4 digits of your phone number. And as soon as the exams are graded for that exam date, they are posted online and you find out right then and there pass/fail but the scores are mailed snail mail at a later date.

If AWS could look into this type of system at some point, it would help with the anxiety many of the exam participants feel and would also help employers getting these folks into the workforce and making them money. That wait is a killer.... :-)
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-21-2007 00:21
Ive been checking everyday, and from what i see they only update on saturday morning. got up this morning,its been exactly 2 weeks now and checked, the only new numbers all have oriental names, so know it looks like 3 weeks for me!
the aws guy at the test said they were trying to give results alot sooner now, he said 1.5 to 2.5 weeks if i remember right! I'll believe that when i see it!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / I passed the CWI and found out in 2 weeks Heres the loophole