Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test help
- - By 2003440 (**) Date 05-19-2007 22:11 Edited 05-19-2007 23:56
Hello guys i need some help on my 6'' 6g test.carbon 6" XX H - 37 1/2 .864''wall for unlimited thickness downhill,1/8 6010 bead and 7010 hot filler and 5/32cap, i am having some problems on my filler pass being concave also on the cap what works best a weave or just drag techniqe?also on my bead pass i have seen guys run the stringer in downhill and just drag the rod or i have seen a guy kind of whip it in i am a rookie so i fugured on asking you salty guys for some help,i have been welding the pipe for a while and i am in a whole new world i have always burned plate,I love burning rod on pipe it is tough but it is nice when a guy welds pipe out and it passes and also looks like a peice of art on the cap!!! on structural a guy really never gets to have the recognition on your welds you just burn and turn not that they are not good welds or not stacked good it is just different on the pipe a guy always will look at the next guys joint and judge for himself.well enough of this thanks in advance for the help. 
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-19-2007 22:54 Edited 05-19-2007 22:59
^6g on what?? stainless or carbon??   What rod(s) are you qualifying with?  What schedule and size pipe..."curious if you will have to run multiple filler passes".  Provide that info and you will get better answers.  

If you are trying out for field work on carbon steels I would expect it to be 6010 root and a 7010 filler and cap most likely then downhill all the way  or is it (6010 + 7018?) .   All stainless work I have done was ALWAYS uphill verts or horizontal.   Its really not possible to answer your bead question without knowing what rod/direction of travel...and the size of joint will help as well.
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 05-19-2007 23:13 Edited 05-19-2007 23:16
being concave has to be some type of 5p. You just have to run stripper passes on the side to fill it up. Also, make sure you have it a little above flush on the side before you cap. You might also be running too hot, that'll make it concave, too.
On the bead, just drag it, no need to whip going downhill.

Some places will make you run a one bead cap, kinda hard to do on 6G and make it look good. It depends how wide the bevel is.
Parent - - By 2003440 (**) Date 05-20-2007 18:19
I have to run a single bead cap it to me is alot harder than running stringers for cap,i just have a hard time making the cap look nice and uniform with weaving the cap any other suggestions?
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 05-20-2007 22:24
About the only thing I can think of is try to keep your weave level with the world.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / weld test help