Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WILL A CWI CERT BE ENOUGH TO GET HIRED AT FIRST???
- - By vagabond (***) Date 05-21-2007 03:31
I am still thinking about getting my CWI, having 15+yrs welding and fitting behind me it seems like a good step to take.  But I 've been looking at a lot of job openings recently and a fair amount require NDT certs. as well.  I was just wondering what everyones opinion is about becoming employed as a CWI with just that cert.  Obviously after I get it I would like to put it too use and begin learning from other inspectors how to become a good one.  Also since my background is primarily industrial power plant etc. I am thinking I should test to D1.1 rather than 1104???  I wouldn't mind working for a pipeline company but most of my experience is in the petrochem/high pressure piping industry.  Thanks much in advance for any input.  I really get a lot of info from the people who post on the boards here.  And I really appreciate it!!!
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 05-25-2007 03:03
     If you think you would like inspecting full time and have the means to do so I would recommend it. You can certainly make a living with "just that card". Of course it depends on the economy in your location and if you want to travel. Like welding the more processes you can do the more options you have. But the guy that only welds pipe is still very employable. Same with CWI. Many ND Examiners only do UT or RT or VT. Some do all.
     Similar to you I was a welder/fitter for many years, supervisor, self employed for last nine years and last year I decided to try to get my CWI. Something I wanted to try for many years. I had friends with similar experience that took test one passed one did not. If you do go for it you should take the seminar before the test. I would not have passed if I had skipped the seminar and not studied before I went and at hotel at night. I payed out of pocket and would not have been able to live with myself if I had failed and not given it my best shot. It was not easy.
     After passing test I have been offered CWI jobs from the NDE companies that do our RT & UT's on projects, and some out of state opportunities. Not blowing my horn just letting you know that a CWI cert is enough to get hired at first. I only test our welders inhouse(only seven welders presently) and responsible for our welding projects especially the RT & UT jobs so I am not a full time CWI by no means but I would like to get more experience.
     For insurance purposes many jobs require more frequent inspections or dedicated inspectors and with the nuclear plants on the rebound, ethanol plants and other industries I see a need for CWI in the future.
     You are correct in that many job listings want UT cert with CWI. Don't let that stop you. Good luck with your decision.
Parent - By g32141 (**) Date 05-25-2007 03:42
If most of your work is pipe you should stick with it. The API 1104 code book is a much more simple than the AWS code books. Might make your pass or fail rate of the CWI exam change depending on which code you use.

Pipeliners make lots of coin. You might even make more pipelining as a welder than you would as an inspector if you had your own rig.
Parent - By genotag Date 06-01-2007 15:20
You can also take the test with the ASME codes.  The AWS doesn't have a code classfor this yet as faras I know.
Gene
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / WILL A CWI CERT BE ENOUGH TO GET HIRED AT FIRST???