Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cyclical loading definition
- - By Mike Houck Date 05-21-2007 14:14
I have a question regarding AWS's definition of cyclical loading. I have an R=3 structure and AISC tells me that I do not have to remove backing bars for moment connections for an R=3 building. However AWS tells me that I do have to remove for cyclically loaded connections or conections subject to fatigue failure. My question is does AWS define cyclical loading as a load that reverses the loads in a connection or simply as load on/load off (i.e. wind or seismic loads)? Thanks is advance for your help.

Mike
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 05-21-2007 16:07
In the simplest terms, cyclic loading is a load which is applied over and over.  Fatigue cracking could result from this continuous loading.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 05-21-2007 21:38
The best I could find was AWS D1.1, Secton 2.15.2.  This section considers cylclic loads as either fluctuation of stress from load application and removal (one way stress) or loading to stress and reversal of loads (load reversal).

Section 5.10.4 requires the removal of backing for cyclic loading, which as defined above would seem to include one way stress.

Anybody disagree?

Bob Garner
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-21-2007 22:16
I wouldn't hang my hat on this, but I've been told that cyclic loading requirments don't come into play unless there are at least 10,000 cycles.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Mike Houck Date 05-23-2007 13:25
Technically every time the wind blows against the building would be a cycle. It wouldn't take long to get to 10,000. I think right now I am leaning towards Bob's interpretation. Thanks for your responses.

Mike
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-24-2007 02:48
Hello Mike;

I don't have a copy of D1.1 at hand here  in my hotel room, however, check section 2, Design. Look at the chart that shows the S-N curves for different fatigue categories. I may be wrong, but I believe the S-N curves kick into play only if you exceed the number of cycles listed to the extream left of the table. The horizontal axis is a logrithmic scale of loading cycles while the vertical axis is the stress.  If the anticipated number of cycles is less than the value along the left end of the horizontal axis, fatigue isn't a problem. Likewise, the load has to be above a certain threshold inorder to be a consideration.

The point being, if the unit stress is very low or if the number of loading/unloading cycles isn't above certain threshold values as indicated by the S-N chart, fatigue isn't a concern. 

I believe your example of the wind blowing against the side of a building is exactly what I am talking about. A light breeze isn't going to develop enough load to produce a unit stress that will be of any consequence. However, a hurricane force wind will induce a unit stress that is of a magnitude to be of concern if the building experiences a sufficient number of hurricanes in it's expected lifetime.

Fatigue life is an inverse function of the unit stress versus the number of load cycles experienced. As the unit stress increases, the number of cycles necessary to cause fatigue is reduced. Hence, the S-N curve rises toward the left side of the chart (increased unit stress) and slopes downward (decreased unit stress) as you increase the number of loading/unloading cycles. If the unit stress is "low" enough, the number of loading/unloading cycles becomes infinate (i.e., the S-N curve is flat and parallel to the horizontal axis).

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-25-2007 01:17
Hello Mike;

I'm back in my office and I just took a look at the S-N chart in D1.1. The chart, figure 2.11, does start at 10,000 cycles. For the worst case, i.e., the most suseptable geometry, provided the level of unit stress is below 2.5 ksi, the endurance limit is infinate (100 million cycles). So, I would expect that fatigue has to be considered if the expected cycles exceeds 10,000 and the unit stress is in excess of 12 ksi for the worst case geometry. If the geometry is improved, the unit stress can increase as well as the number of cycles.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Mike Houck Date 05-25-2007 15:55
Al - I took a look at the charts and calculated the stress in the welds due to wind and the values are very small (less than 2.5ksi) so I don't think we have to consider fatigue for these connections and we can let the erector leave the backing bars on the welds. Thanks very much for your help.

Mike
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Cyclical loading definition