Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 1g cert?
- - By SeanMcc Date 05-21-2007 14:44
                Hi everyone My name is sean McCormick and ive been welding for several years in a foundry(just bronze). I landed an awesome job working for a pipefitting company and now have to start getting my certs. Im little nervous because im completely self trained and have never been certified. The person i talked to said since i have prior welding experience i can start taking my certs whenever i want. anyway I was planning on buying some pipe to practice on in my spare time however, Im not sure if theres a specific type of pipe I should get?. I believe it has to be 3/8in thick and have a diameter of at least 4in. And im pretty sure im allowed to rotate the pipe as im welding is that correct?. i apologize for the very newby questions but im completely new to the pipefitting field certifications in general.     

Thanks in advance
Sean McCormick
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-21-2007 20:52
Sean,
If you are new to a specific type of welding you would be better to leave the pipe alone until you become proficient on plate.
Practice with plates in the 4 positions you will generally use when welding pipework.
1G (Flat), 2G (Horizontal),3G (Vertical) and 4G (Overhead)
You can use exactly the same metal thickness, bevel, root gap,etc that you want to use for the pipe but it will help with your confidence more if you start off with something easier than jumping in the deep end.
When you get to do your pipe test it will be in either the 2G (pipe vertical, weld horizontal), 5G (pipe horizontal, weld vertical) or 6G (pipe and weld on a 45 degree angle)
The only way you can do a 1G with pipe is if it is rotated. This is where the pipe is set up in rotators and as it turns all the welding is done in the Flat position.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 05-23-2007 11:15
You are correct that 1G means you can rotate the pipe and weld it. Rarely have I seen this used in certification
except where we used GMAW & FCAW to weld pipe in a positioner as mentioned by Shane. "Roll welding" we called it. I guess if that is all the stuff you will be welding "on-the-bench" then you have it made. As far as what pipe to use.........ask the guy what material will be used on the test. I have use 2"- carbon steel-XX heavy, or 6" CS- schedule 80 .....usually A-106 spec. You'll have to find out. It's kewl you are self taught welder as long as you know what a good pipe weld is supposed to be. By the way, you need to specify what welding process you are using and what material you are using and you'll get more responses.
Be well.
Hawk
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 05-26-2007 23:37
Hi SeanMcc; i like that one, your are completly self trained.  I have been welding now for over 30 years, most of them as a high pressure welder.  Now, i'm a welding instructor, but there is a not a day that don't go by that i learn something new.  Even my students will ask me questions, sometimes simply, but it will spark controversy.  Sean, never go through life with the attitude that u r self trained, because in your first memo, you are asking the pros for input in what u have to do.   Ask the questions humbly and we will help and guide u through as to what u are looking for.   It looks like u have knowledge of welding and u r ready to move on to something more challeging.
Good-luck with your certs.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 1g cert?