Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Duplex Stainless
- - By airweld (**) Date 03-05-2001 18:45
I am looking for someone who has welded on alloy 2205 and is willing to share anything they have learned along the way. I want to weld 2205 to 4130 thinwall tubing with TIG using Argon and ER 2209 rod. I'd appreciate hearing fom anyone who has tried this, Thanks, Scott.
Parent - - By Dirk (*) Date 03-13-2001 03:36
You may want to consider alternate Ni based alloys for this material combination but what is the service environment??

This is suggested as typically they are easier to get and less expensive.

Dirk
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-13-2001 18:02
I am not familiar with the NI alloys, but if they meet the strength and weldability requirements and are commonly available in thinwall tubing, I'm interested. Price is a consideration, but not primary. The service environment is a welded tube structure in a wet, possibly salt water outdoor situation. Any particular alloy jump to mind?
Parent - - By Dirk (*) Date 03-14-2001 04:27
The filler ER-NiCrMo-3 or similar composition would seem to meet your needs for a filler metal. (625/C22)

A word of caution with the duplex materials in a possible salt (chloride)
wetted service situation.

Ensure the resultant microstructure does not contain to much austenite
(high heat input slow cooling rates) as th eweld/HAZ may become susceptable to stress/ stress assisted corrosion craking.

Dirk
Parent - - By airweld (**) Date 03-15-2001 02:16
I have an article that addresses the welding of duplex to carbon steels and one of the filler metals tested is alloy 625. The results are favorable and I do have it on my list of possibilities. The article can be found in the AWS technical section if you're interested. Thanks for the suggestion. Scott.
Parent - - By John H. UK (*) Date 03-16-2001 01:18
About the only grades of metals I know are 310 and 316 stainless (And how much 316 is! £50 for 80mm^2 x 2mm deep!). First of all, what is a duplex steel? And secondly has anyone ever seen a book that gives things like simple explanations of what a metal is useful for (Mainly the steel grades). So, for example, it would tell me that 316 is a highly corrosion resistant metal that withstands very high temperatures. Not the complete physics of the metal. I'm already rather pesamistic because I think I've seen 'books' (If a book can be more than 3" thick) for a couple of hundred pounds on stuff like this. I'd really like something I could look up the grades in without having to bother people for just one thing. If you've seen one on Aluminium that'd be good as well. Preferably with the different finishes. When I went to buy some sheet metal recently the man told me that, if I remember right, I should get the hot rolled, the same as bright drawn I assume. He said that it would be more malleable (Sp?), is that because the metal has annealed after being drawn? Is cold rolled cheaper? It's not really that important I was just wondering about it that's all.

Best wishes,
John
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 03-17-2001 18:03
AlcoTec, a subsidiary of ESAB, www.alcotec.com, has a good 83 page booklet on aluminum wire, which they sell, and how to use it. Good information. Scott.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Duplex Stainless