Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / armature
- - By tompit9 (***) Date 05-22-2007 14:56
anyone know what will cause a armature to burn up?
Parent - By gshuma (**) Date 05-22-2007 17:45
The "what will not make it let the smoke out" will be shorter.
Almost all motors and generators are wound with what seems to be bare wire. This wire is coated with an insulating varnish to keep it from shorting turn to turn. Anything that allows that thin insulating surface to break or melt will cause problems sooner or later. Dirt, vibration, excessive heat...all the stuff found on a job site will kill a welder in a short time.
There is a word that many have never heard and that is "maintenance". If you keep it clean and do what the book says most machines will last longer than the operator.
I have had motors that were on the edge and cleaned 'm up and put 'm back and they are still running. There is no reason an old welder shouldn't last forever, especially those overbuilt things that they don't make anymore.
Parent - - By SA-200 (**) Date 05-27-2007 21:04
Overloading and getting it too hot.
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 05-27-2007 21:09
sounds like that. the bellows idler ingauges with out even striking or powering up a grinder. do you know how the bellows idler wires in so that the idler will disingauge?
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 05-27-2007 21:11 Edited 05-27-2007 21:42
right know I have no wires hooked up, and with the valve closed when I open it, it idles up and wont idle back down. guess i'll spend the 450 to get the auto. idler. the idler ingauges and it bogs the engine down. not what suppose to do.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / armature