Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Manganese ?'s
- - By LandM Rad (*) Date 05-23-2007 00:18
Is too much manganese in a filler metal actually bad for welding?  I ask this because some of ESAB's wires say "More manganese for more fluidity...etc."  Any and all info on manganese would be appreciated.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2007 03:30 Edited 05-23-2007 03:34
Manganese is a strong deoxidize. If it isn't "consumed", i.e., needed for deoxidation, it acts as an alloy addition to the iron and increases the hardness and strength.

Manganese is also usefull to counter the ill affects of sulfur. In general, the manganese content should be on the order of ten times the sulfur content.

I don't believe the typical amounts of manganese found in carbon steel filler metals reduces the weldability of steel unless the manganese content is on the order of 4% in which case you have a high alloy steel that can be work hardened.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By sean32 (*) Date 05-23-2007 14:08
Deciding if you have too much Mg in your wire is dependent upon the application. I agree with what Al posted but in my case our shop fabricates piping for Sour Service applications. Our WPS's comply with ASME Sec IX and NACE RP0472. Excessive Mg in the wire will increase weld metal hardness which is undesirable in this enviornment. I restrrict Mg content for our carbon steel wires (Er70s) to no more that 1.6% This does reduce fluidity but not enough to cause a problem. The result is an "as welded" deposit with about a 180 BHN. My point is that you can't say that elevated Mg levels are good or bad without considering the enviornemt the finished weld will be subjected to.
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 05-23-2007 21:02
Sean,
Hope you mean Mn for manganese.  Mg is magnesium.  Most everything you have said is technically correct for Mn.
Parent - By sean32 (*) Date 05-24-2007 14:20
Thanks, I did mean Mn.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Manganese ?'s