Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Mechanical testing for a PQR?
- - By Kix (****) Date 05-24-2007 12:07
You guys wouldn't happen to know if it says in the code(D1.1) anywhere that the people doing the mechanical testing for a PQR have to actaully be on site to witness the coupon being welded?  I've got a guy picked out to do some testing on our procedure qualification coupons and he says that he has to come out here and get paid to watch us weld up the coupons.  Just wondering thanks!!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-24-2007 12:22
Kix.

Sounds fishey to me.

These guys have a very good reputation... They also do quite a few free seminars (so at least get on their mailing list) and are not far from your neck of the woods.

http://www.storksmt.com/page.html?id=1867
Parent - - By drifter57 (**) Date 05-24-2007 12:55
Lawrence, I 2nd that. I have used Stork for years. Very good fast turn around and will give you personel service once you get to know the person you are dealing with. I have never had to have them or anybody on site. I just furnish all the info. to them.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 05-24-2007 14:34
i have seen this required for some DOT jobs
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 05-24-2007 14:37
It is not required in the code, but the Cortractors often require it.  I have done it sometines for the State and the Port Authority.  It is a good thing I was there!  I have seen shennagins in even very reputable testing labs!  I would urge all contractors to require third party witnessing, and the return of all specimens and the balance of the coupon.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-24-2007 18:28
I'm just wondering if we the contractor does not specify that the testing company be on site to witness the actual welding then why does he think he has to come out here.  He told me it's in the code somewhere that he has to come out here.  I called him out on it so he is suppose to tell me where to find this in the code book.  I've been trying to call him and see if he still wants to do the testing if he can't come watch the coupons being welded.  We'll see what happens.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-25-2007 01:32
As a rule, I do not perform mechanical testing of PQR plates or welder qualification plates unless I witness the welder taking the test. That's my business practice, my rule, and it's my signature on the test report. It isn't a code requirement. Now that you're convinced I'm a SOB with an attitude problem (you're right by the way), let me explain my position.

Most clients do not know how to complete a welder's performance test report or PQR, so they expect the laboratory to do the mechanical testing and complete the test report for them, with a certifying signature attesting to who the welder was, what WPS was used, what test position the test was taken in, etc. I will not sign or fill out a test report using my SCWI stamp or company's logo if I have no means of verifying the information provided by the client is true and accurate. The only way I can verify the information is correct is to witness the test.

If the client is simply looking for a test results for sample XYZ, that I will provide, but not if it includes a welder's name, social security number, employee number, or anything other than a statement that sample XYZ passed or failed the test listed on the report.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-25-2007 06:16
Hello guys,
I agree totally with Al.
In Australia some testing authorities have it clearly stated on the test report (be it destructive or non destructive) that the welding was not witnessed by the testing authority. In some states in Australia it is all self-regulatory and that is where the scary part comes in.
1 One welder welds 15 test coupons with no third party witness. An NDT request with 15 different guys names on and all done in the 6G position (in reality they could all have been rolled on the bench) and they are sent off to the local laboratory.They all pass and next thing you have 15 welder qualification certificates being issued to 14 guys who have never even done a test.
2 7 welders are employed on a piping job with 10% RT requirement and they have completed 100 welds. Instead of performing 10% of each welders work it is 10% of the lot so 10 welds of the best welder are shot and none of the other 6 welders.
3 Similar scenario and all 10 welds that are shot just happen to be on weldneck flanges.
These are not hypotheticals, these kind of "shenanigans" go on every day.
You may well say how do they get away with it, easy.
Take for example an Alumina Refinery, what they do well is make alumina, if they don't have a CWI employed they may have nobody with a welding background. So they rely on the "honesty" of the "supposed" professional pipe welding outfit to give them a quality product.
Pipes passed hydro, 10% " random " RT has been done and everyones happy. Does the Refinery have a clue that they may have been duped, No.
Excuse me for sounding so pessimitic but I have been around a fair while both on the tools and as an inspector and I have seen stuff that would scare the daylights out of you.
And it is only when someone is seriously injured or killed that anything is done.
Self-regulatory - what a joke.
Sorry for the rant, hope everyone has a great weekend.
Shane

In New Zealand it is totally opposite, it is an unwritten law that all ASME IX welders quals (which is the predominant code) are to be witnessed by a third party. When tender documents are submitted if the welder quals were not witnessed by a third party they generally go to the bottom of the pile.It increases the costs but it is generally done across the board so that all the costs are transparent and everybodies tenders reflect the same costs. It also helps to raise/maintain quality standards right across the industry.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-25-2007 09:56
Nothing like that is required under D1.1.

If you are running a PQR under AWS D1.5 then some witnessing is required.  Notice I said "some"; that's because some folks take the requirements too far.
Notes in D1.5 Figure 5.1 tell you that a state representative or an independent party is to witness the welding.  Normally, if a you a running a PQR for a project for a State DOT, will send their rep in (might be a State employee or might be an contracted inspector). 
If you are running a PQR for yourself to potentially use on future projects, you would normally hire a CWI to witness the welding.  Normally, a future customer is OK with this, but he/she could refuse to accept the PQR.
The independent witness could be a lab employee if that is convenient for you, but if you go that route you might want to make sure the witness is a CWI.

Mechanical testing is NOT required to be witnessed by D1.5, nor is witnessing of RT, UNLESS specified otherwise bythe contract.  You would do well to be sure the testing lab has recognized accreditations.  However I hire them to perform the appropriate testing on a uniquely identified plate, as verified by the witness.  The lab is paid to extract and test samples, and to report the results, no more and no less.  I review the results with the witness, I fill out a PQR form, and both the witness and I sign it. All the lab needs to certify is that sample extraction and testing is done according to specs and the reported results are accurate.  The lab does not pass or fail a PQR, nor does the contractor/fabricator; it is the customer that accepts or rejects the PQR based on your documentation. (I like to retain the tested specimens- just in case, but that is optional)
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 05-25-2007 12:32
I just took my CWI exam allmost 2 weeks ago now and i'm not a CWI yet until i find out if i passed or not.  I can fill out a WPS and i could fill out a PQR if i had test results.  If we the contractor want to send in plates to get tested that were welded in the 1G postition and call them out as overhead then that would be our mistake if you ask me not a testing labs.  If welds start poping out in the field and i can't figure out why then it's my butt.  Then i start to think mmmm maybe it's cause i cheated the welding procedure and end up costing the company a butt load of cash to have to do it all over again and then i get caught and fired.  I know i wouldn't do that and i don't see why anyone would want to take a chance in qualifying the wrong procedure for a job and then sit starts hitting the fan or someone gets killed.  I don't see how the lab could get in trouble for doing there job(testing a given coupon).  You'd think it would be my job to see the test gets done right then i sign off on it for the company and send the coupons to the lab to have them pull some specimens and verify the wire and base material are compatible and the way we welded the plate works.  Now if the company wanted someone here to double check me to see i was doing my job right then it would be fine and dandy.  I don't need a testing lab to babysit me and tell me if i'm haveing my guy weld the plate up right.  However i do see the labs concern, but i don't really see how they could get in trouble for me signing off on something that wasn't true.  Now comes the question if i was a CWI would that make you guys that have to witness a welding test for a lab just let me do my end and you guys do your end or would you still have to come out?
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 05-26-2007 01:44
I don't want to get you into any trouble so please be sure to review your project specifications.  However, you originally cited D1.1 as the applicable code.  I have not found the word "witness" anywhere in D1.1 other than at the bottom of the sample PQR/WPS forms.  Unless the specifications require differently, no witnessing of PQR welding is required by that code.   If a person signs the "Witnessed by" spaces, he/she does not necessarily have to be a CWI.

D1.5 does require witnessing as I posted earlier.   However, the requirement does not state that the witness must be a CWI.    Instead, what is stated is "Welding and machining shall be witnessed by a state representative or an independent third party acceptable to the state." 
Since you are not working to D1.5, this shouldn't matter to you.  I only mentioned it because it sounds like the lab tech you mentioned was mixing codes together.

I work for a fabricator so normally I don't review PQRs, I send them out to get reviewed.  I conduct our testing to D1.5 because those PQRs can also be used for D1.1.  Even though a CWI is not spelled out as being required, I hire a CWI to witness tests because it looks better to clients.

As far as the lab goes, I can understand their wanting to witness the PQR testing because their name is being associated with the PQR and they don't want bad publicity.  Normally, their report states something like 'testing performed on customer supplied weld coupon" or similar, and that should cover them.  I am sure a good number of people do not perform their testing correctly, usually because of ignorance of the requirements.  (Some may cheat but I have no personal knowledge of any who have).

I do know that labs make mistakes.   One lab I used twice screwed up bend test specimens.  2 bends specimens moved in their jig so the weld was never "stretched", yet the lab pronounced them as acceptable.  I had to re-do the testing and tried the lab again - this time they chamfered one side but bent it to stretch the unchamfered side. There was a corner crack @ less than 1/8" so the lab pronounced the PQR as no good.  When it comes down to it, how do I know the lab oriented the CVN specimens correctly?  Yet, one lab will charge a steep "babysitting fee" if I send someone to witness THEIR work.

That is why I don't want the lab to do anything more than positivley ID the coupons and report actual results , and why I insist the tested specimens be shipped to me.

So whether or not you are a CWI would make no difference to me.  If I WERE reviewing your PQRs, I would look over your documents to make sure all IDs match up and results were at least in line with what the electrode manufacturer publishes for their test results.   The heat input would likely be the tattle tale if someone tried to pass off a 1G test as 3G or 4G.  If you know what you are doing, it will be obvious.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-30-2007 12:56
Hello once again.

The thread is taking on some interesting twists.

I agree that most welding standards do not have a requirement for a test witness. However, the testing must be done under some sort of supervision and hopefully that supervision is by someone knowledgeable of welding.

I'll give you a couple of examples where I've seen the testing/qualification of welder go astray. Company XYZ tested their welders by handing the test coupons to the welder, instructing them to weld several samples and hand in the "best" for destructive testing. The certification papers were completed indicating the welder tested in the vertical, horizontal, and overhead positions, when in fact all the test plates were welded in the flat. I know this to be a fact because I was new employee and I watch the welders weld the plates. Another company I worked with for a short while would give the welders the test pipe and tell them to weld them up, and once again, hand in the best sample. The pipe coupons were welded on the bench and rolled as the welder completed the groove. The test reports listed the test position as 6G.

A different situation arises when qualifying the welding procedure. Again there is no requirement for a test witness. Company BBB submitted several WPSs and supporting PQR when my client and I visited their fabrication facility. After looking at the PQRs I asked who the test witness was and they replied that there was no requirement for the test to be witnessed. I agreed, but I noted that there were entries for travel speed, voltage, amperage, etc. The "welding engineer" replied that the welder provided that information. I made the comment that this was a good welder and that I would like to meet him. The "welding engineer" said that would not be a problem and off we went.

I was introduced to the welder and I asked him if he remembered qualifying the PQR in question. He replied that he qualified not only that PQR, but all the PQRs.

I asked him if he recorded the welding parameters. He replied that it was clear to him that I was an idiot that knew nothing of welding or I would know that it was impossible to deposit weld metal (using a manual process by the way) and watch the meters on the welder and operate a stop watch simultaniously. He made my point. I asked where the test data came from and his reply was that it "beat the s**t out of him, because it didn't come from him!"

The welding parameters and all other data recorded on the PQR are the actual values recorded and used during the welding of the test pieces. I call data entered after the fact "pencil whipped", it is meaningless and defeats the purpose of the PQR. After all, the purpose of the PQR is to record all the actual (real) information and test data that resulted in a test piece that passed all the nondestructive and destructive tests. Pencil whipping the welding parameters is falsifying the test information.

I've had several instances where the information was clearly falsified and I have questioned whether the tests were ever performed. I had PQRs that were welded and tested overnight. It is highly unlikely that a fabricator has the capability to weld, perform NDT, cut, machine, test samples, and fill in the paperwork in one or two days. I'm not saying it is impossible, by highly improbable.

Worst yet, assuming the testing was performed as per the welding code or standard, what do you do when the information is simply wrong? Do you, the reviewer, assume the mistakes are simply typographical errors. At what point do you make the determination that the individual tasked with the paperwork isn't competent and when do you raise the question, "Were the test plates or pipe actually welded using the parameters recorded and were the destructive tests performed in-house done properly?" I have a situation as I type that involves several PQRs and three WPSs. The number or errors on the paper work fills several pages. Are the errors simply typos? Can I believe the test samples were tested using the proper bend radius? Can I believe an individual that can't fill in the paperwork properly interpreted the code requirements properly? Can you have short circuiting transfer at 220 amps, 28 volts, using 0.035 inch diameter carbon steel electrode? Each time I ask for correction, new mistakes are noted.

So, do you have to have a test witness? You tell me. What are you going to do to provide a level of assurance to a jaded and experienced client that the tests were performed as indicated by your paperwork? The third party test witness lends credibility to your welding program. Does the third party need to be a CWI or SCWI? Again the answer may be "no", but I hope the individual understands what is required.

I guess the bottom line is this, if you understand the code requirements, if you understand how to complete the necessary forms, if you supervise the testing, if you or someone that is competent record the actual test data/welding parameters, a third party witness is not required. If that was the case and if every company did the right thing by providing the necessary training so that someone within the organization had the necessary competency, I would be doing something else for a living.

Good luck - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-31-2007 00:34
Well said Al! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 05-31-2007 16:58
Yes, very well-said.

As a QA manager, I can only add that a strong QA program will prevent most of the problems associated with cheating.  I have guys on the floor turning their work because they only have 1G certs.  Every test coupon is witnessed by my lead welder, or by one of my inspectors, or by myself.  We're also on the floor every day.  If I catch a guy welding out of position I will let his supervisor know; haven't had to say anything yet (knock on wood). 

As far as qualifying my WPSs, I haven't yet sent any out.  I just got my first draft PQR form written, and issued paperwork to get it welded by my lead guy.  When it's in process, he will have a helper to record, and I will make sure an inspector is keeping tabs on the process.  When I send the coupons out for testing, I will know that they were welded correctly, in position.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-31-2007 19:16
Damn, another potential client lost due to proper training and professional ethics. Let's not let this information get out to the rest of the fabrication industry!

Best regards - Al
- By Yasir Date 08-17-2018 11:27
Hi guys, I have to prepare PQR for pipe API 5L Gr.X60 to flange A350 LF6 CL2. is the electrode E7018 most suitable for welding this material ?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Mechanical testing for a PQR?