Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / selection of electrode
- - By sathyasaravana0 Date 05-24-2007 12:56
Dear Sirs,
              I would like to know which electrode ,filler rod has to be used using SMAW for joining BSEN 10025  S355 J2G3 and BSEN 10025  S275.S 355 is of 35 mm and 45 mm thick and used as lifting lug. and  this is welded to  S275  a structure(beam ).The joint is a lap joint with a  fillet weld .Right now we have welded it with E-7018 ,is it alright?
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-24-2007 19:18
Looks like the standards you're mentioning are British Standards (they begin with BS) with which I'm not familiar at all.
Shane, since you're from Australia and a subject of Her Gracious British Majesty, can you help this gentleman?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-24-2007 22:11
Hello Giovanni,
Greetings from sunny New Caledonia.
I am not totally sure on British standards as we generally use American or Australian steels but will see what I can do.

sathyasaravana0,
Go to http://metaldata.info/eng/sinquiry.php
It is a web-site that gives you the different equivalents to various steels from all around the world.
You just have to register and then you get 3 questions (the first 3 are free).
Type in your question and they will give you the equivalent based on which country you happen to be from.
Pretty sure 7018 is fine but a bit tied up today and don't have time to research,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By sathyasaravana0 Date 05-26-2007 09:21
Thanks for address of metal data,I would appreciate and certainly be glad if you can really get me out of this problem.

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By Stephan (***) Date 05-26-2007 15:23 Edited 05-27-2007 16:31
sathyasaravana0,

to the already given replies, coming from Prof. Crisi and Shane Feder I would like to allow myself to make a small addition.

The steel standardization you have mentioned appears to me to be based on the European Standards (EURONORM = EN).

The steel grades you have mentioned were - from my point of view - eligible to be welded with an electrode type E 7018. I will attach a German Electrode's suppliers (OERLIKON) data sheet for an E 7018 type, please see also SUPERCITO_pdf.

Furthermore I have searched the Internet to find a f.o.c. steel-standard comparison. I will attach a quite good one (source: http://www.kvalitetstal.se), to see what the Euronorm Standard Steels mean in different other national standards, see also Standards_Comparison_pdf. Amongst others also the United States ASTM /AISI standard. I request your understanding its basically written in German language, but I guess it should be possible to perceive the most relevant information for you. The comparison should probably enable you to find the correct consumables for welding some of the most common European Steel grades in the future.

Best regards from Germany,
Stephan
Attachment: SUPERCITO.pdf (32k)
Attachment: Standards_Comparison.pdf (236k)
Parent - By sathyasaravana0 Date 05-29-2007 04:40
I thank all the  gentlemen for  the exhaustive  information ,It has helped me to take a decission.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / selection of electrode