Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding armor plate
- - By lknerr Date 05-24-2007 15:06
I work as welding inspector/quality contol for a company that builds turrets for a military vehicle. The material we are welding is Mil-A-46100 (high hard armor). This armor gets welded to itself and to a mild steel base plate. We also weld other mild steel parts and pieces to the turret. We also weld an ammo chute made with 316L to the armor plate.  We have shipped over 585 turrets and the first contract is for 724. We are currently fitting turret #638. Here's my problem, the prime contractor showed up about a week ago and wanted to see our PQR and WPS. I showed him the WPS as it is posted at every weld station. He said they have no record of approving our WPS and I cannot find a PQR. I was not here when they started this contract. Now the Prime wants PQR's and WPS's. He also said something about a WPT, what's a WPT? So the way he talks I now have to go get a PQR qualified for welding the armor plate to itself, and to mild steel, plus the stainless to armor, then write the WPS's from the PQR's. Any suggestions on the easiest way to go about this paper work trail nightmare the right way. They have no complaints about our quality of welds or our work.

I am an ex-CWI I say ex, as I did not maintain my certification after retiring from the military.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-25-2007 01:44
Before you start jumping through hoops for no reason, make sure you read a copy of the original project specifications and the purchase order issued by your customer. Even if there are requirements for various documented procedures for controlled processes such as welding, painting, etc., check to see if your employer took exception to the requirements in the bid package that was accepted by your customer.

Next, make sure you review the requirements of any military or commercial welding standard(s) that was referrenced by the original purchase order to determine how and what you have to do to qualify the WPS. Every welding standard has it's own means of tweeking the requirements of how the welding procedures have to be qualified, what tests have to be performed, etc. There's no sense in attempting to qualify the test coupons by destructive testing if the welding standard requires the weld sample to pass volumetric examination before performing mechanical tests.

As for the WPT; I believe they are refering to a welder performance test, its what we call a WPTR in ASME and a WQTR by AWS.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By jgraham Date 05-31-2007 20:29
In general for welding armor plate for say Humvee's or military vehicles, are there any certifications we must obtain for our welding personnel or any special processes other than a written weld proceedure for the specific materials beyond AWS specifications for the material? Also, is there a military spec that covers this information that can be obtained?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2007 03:33
Your purchase order, issued by the customer, should list the applicable specifications. I would find it unusual to have welders working on military components without some requirements for the qualification of the welding procedures and the welders.

There a several different military welding standards that may be referenced by your customer.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Welding armor plate