Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new suit case feeder
- - By makeithot (***) Date 05-25-2007 00:51
Just orderd a new suit case feeder today to add to my rig for structural job . All welding is steel colums etc. As we all know there are a variety of gasses available but for all position flux core/dual shield wire is 75/25 the best chioce or does straight CO2 work just as well . I have used both in the past just can't remember which one I liked best.(memory is worn out hands are still steady though).
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-25-2007 01:02
Hello makeithot, if you are planning on running the dualshield flux-cored wire in your new suitcase you will need to pay attention to the wire that you select. There are a number of different wires you can use, some will only work with CO2, others will only work with 75/25(75%Argon, 25%CO2), some are designed to be used with either combination, and still others are designed to be run with 90/10(90%Argon, 10%CO2). So check out the information on the particular wire you choose and run the appropriate gas. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By arcblow Date 08-30-2007 03:09
Aevald:
Is E71T-1 m considered a "seismic" wire by the code or engineers ? "outershield" (lincoln)  Is there a 'techncal' rule to meet seismic? 20 lbs charpy v notch ? or ?   232 has better numbers, but does the "E71T-1 M"  make the "seismic" grade ?   It is a great wire.  I have only used  it for high quality, heavy multipass  "non-structural" applications   john los angeles
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-30-2007 06:45
Hello arcblow, I don't have any of my filler metal books handy, but I'm going to say that the E71T-1M does meet seismic requirements. Unless I'm mistaken the majority of the dual-shield wires with a 71 designation do meet these specifications, it's when you get into some of the self-shielded wires that you can run into problems. As you already mentioned the NR 232, it is one of the self-shielded wires that does qualify for seismic requirements, ESAB 8 also falls into this category and by now I'm going to say that there are likely other wires as well that would qualify but I don't know their manufacturer or their type. Sorry I can't be of better assistance right now, however I'm sure that there will be others out there who may have seen your post and my response and will chime in with information. Best regards, aevald

t
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 05-25-2007 04:35
You might really like Lincoln 71 Elite running 75/25 argon & CO2.  Very smooth and clean with great tie in. Very friendly for use on an engine drive.   Not too happy for the out of position stuff however.  Out of position welds, the 71 M is a better Lincoln product. Straight CO2 works well with this wire and yields great penetration.  However the smooth arc characteristics of the mixed gas provides real ease of use with welds that look fantastic and sure to please the client for appearance.  Afterall, to the untrained any weld that looks good must be good! Right?
Don't know what feeder you bought for field use,  But the Lincoln LN-25 seems to be a sure winner.  I have a couple that are now about 10 to 15 years old with no problems whatsoever.  Even got an LN-22 that I rescued off a Los Angeles freeway after it bounced out the back of some welders truck and did some rather beautiful somersaults as it tumbled down along the center divider.  After a little game of bumper hockey with a couple of passing cars, all that was required to be functional was a new side door and the plastic face for the volt meter.  Yes I did try to grab the feeder and catch up with the truck that lost it.  However, it was nowhere to be found.  That was in the late eighties and the thing is still in use today.  I did however have to replace the clip for the ground cable about five years ago. 
XPERTFAB
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 05-25-2007 14:11
Thanks All,
EXPERTFAB, bought one of the new miller voltage senceing units. it has had some good reviews from some other guys I know and it also is supost to with stand being run over by trucks etc. Looking forward to hooking it up
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 05-25-2007 15:05
Just curious mind you, but if doing structural, why dual shield? Are you going to run your rig for a shop job?
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 05-26-2007 16:06
all steel is already detailed and on site thats why I need to run portable.dual shield is just a little more versatile
Parent - - By XPERTFAB (**) Date 05-25-2007 15:56
Very nice feature in some of the Miller wirefeeders of the voltage sensing variety is the "Soft start" that appears to momentarily reduce the wire speed at arc initiation.  Minimizes the stub out effect when using large diameter flux core wires on smaller engine drives.  Guys I know who have them love em!  We have always just run the wedling machine on high idle in CV mode when running wire to avoid problems arc starting while the machine spools up.  The arc starting problem resulting in stub out does not seem to be as prevalent on the larger "liquid cooled" welding machines.  Do not know what you are running for a power source, but in any event the current generation of CC/CV engine drives seem to be really good.  It is interesting that for some reason the smaller Miller air cooled units such as the Trailblazer 301 and 302 do not run the flux cored wires (either gas sheilded or not) well at the high elevations we encounter here in our part of the country.  I have friends running these machines at low elevations with success such that they have replaced all but one of their Miller 55Gs with the smaller air cooled Trailblazer and weld flux core NR-232 on structural all day six days a week, no problems!  Bring the same machine to 8000ft elevation and they will barely run the NR-211.  I run, as one of my machines, a Lincoln Ranger 250 which shares the same engine as the subject Trailblazer at the same 8000ft elevation using the big NR-232 wire without any difficulites whatsoever.  Go figure!  We had a large production weld job last year where I had my friend bring six of his machines and his guys up to knock it out.  Wound up driving around a lot of the western states trying to rent welding machines with CV capability for flux  core welding with NR-233.  Was certainly a pain and a little embarassing.  The Miller people as nice as they are could not help rectify this problem. Differerent guys I know have had the same situation.
Very comparable equipment in size class and both machines (Lincoln 250/ 305 and Miller Trailblazer 302) weld real well at or near sea level reguardless of process.  Why this is important to you is that if for some reason you are experiencing problems running wire at higher elevations, you will not go crazy trying to figure what it is you are doing wrong when you were welding the same materials at a project at the beach the day before.
XPERTFAB
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 05-25-2007 18:26
Question, did the TB 301/2s have electric fuel pumps or did they have the vacuum pumps? Miller shows in their literature a field kit for Electric Fuel Pumps #195 214. If my machine lacks power I might consider the kit or buy up the next go.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 05-25-2007 14:25
The Outershield 71 Elite (AWS E71T-1H8 or E71T-9H8) data sheet shows 100% CO2 or 75-82 % Argon with balance CO2. The 71M (E71T-1 or E71T-9) shows 100%  CO2 or 75-80% Argon with balance CO2. Outershield 70 (AWS E70T-1 or E70T-9) is a 100% CO2 gas shielding only. Change the gas mixture, changes the mechanical properties of the weld deposit. Sometimes the change produces results that are disastrous.  Qualify the procedure only with the electrode wire manufacturers recommended shielding gas. Also the electrode data sheets will designate single pass or multipass and multipass to a maximum thickness.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 05-26-2007 00:36 Edited 05-26-2007 00:39
with straight co2 there is a possibility of carbon infusion at higher welding voltages. at out of position work your voltage is lower so it "shouldn't" be a problem but in the flat at voltages above 27 volts you are creating a low alloy steel and it will be harder than the base/parent metal and asking for cracks in the haz/weld zone. the job should have a wps and it would state what gas is allowed. for all around 75/25 is probably best
esab 7100 ultra is an excellent wire.
for structural work the wps might indicate a h8 or h4 wire and these do not seem to do so well with straight co2 but there are low hyd wires developed specifically for straight co2

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/490508 

i have never knowingly used them so cannot speak to their weldability, i have used so many wires i couldn't even begin to keep track of them all
what you'll have to do is weigh out the extra gas costs with the mixture gas with inexpensive low hyd wire and the cost of the upgraded wire with straight co2.
there is definitely some one within this forum that has already done these type of calculations. and of course which you like welding with
darren
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 06-13-2007 00:43
Once again Thanks All , The info provided by everyone was a big help in makeing everything go well. I am on the tail end of the job and when I get home I will try and figure out how to post some pictures.  I chose a .045 wire LA T91 (blue sheild product) , 75/25 for gas and ran at 27volts . The new wire feeder performed great and the soft start is a great feature makeing tie-ins almost invisiple. I bought the miller rough-neck for a gun and have to say it is also a great piece of gear fits well in your hand and goes into the corners with out any trouble. All in all the purchase was well worth it when the dust settled I was good to go for $2300.00 cdn plus a couple hundred for consumables, tips etc.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / new suit case feeder