Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Category M
- - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-25-2007 03:52
Hello gentleman,
Can anybody tell me if there is any information regarding which fluids and concentrations fall into B31.3 Category M piping.
We have Sulphuric Acid at 98% and it is my personal feeling that this is classed as a Category M fluid but I need some documentary evidence,
Thanks and regards,
Shane
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 05-25-2007 11:55
Shane, I don't have access to a B31.3 so cannot help directly but I did work with it for many years and it's my recollection that there are definitions, but not as specific as what you seek.  It seems to me that its the definition deals with defining the toxicity of leakage, even in small amounts, which could lead to fatality... or something along those lines.  Sorry, wish I could be more specific but I'm obviously speaking strictly from memory and a memory thats had a few burnt cells at that! ;-)
Parent - By new tito (***) Date 05-25-2007 11:55
I beleive engineering dictates the type of service for B31.3.  In any case, I would definitely have someone tell ME in writing what category it is, as opposed to taking a shot at what I think it is. 
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-26-2007 02:54 Edited 05-26-2007 02:56
There are two groups that have to make this decision. paragraphs 300(b)1, 300(d)4-5, and 300(e) requires the owners decision, the remainder are the designers responsibility para 300(b)(2).
You can go to appendix M fig M300 for a chart guide to classifying the system. This is out of B31.3 2004

In answer to your question I believe your going to end up fluid class M given all the hoops you have to get through to be otherwise.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 05-26-2007 03:29
Gerald,
Thank you for your response.
We are the owners representative and yet the designer is telling us what they are going to do.That is it will be classed as NFS.
It is the same designer that I had the problem with recently where boiler external piping (steam) was classed as B31.3.
Thanks and regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Category M