Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Step up transformers
- - By midnightmoon (*) Date 05-25-2007 23:28
Will a step up transformer from 120 to 240 work with a 100 amp welder 208/230v. How many watts do I need to run the welder?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-26-2007 00:00
First of all, if you do'nt have any experience installing electrical equipment, then find someone that does!!! If you do have experience then look around the power source... There should be a plate with all of the info you need either in front of the power source or behind next to the primary input cable... Do you know whether or not this is a single phase or 3 phase power source or both??? Anywho, the plate should tell you how many amps the power source draws in.

If you're using a 240VAC step up transformer and the power source is set via jumper links inside to 208VAC you might mess up the insides if you get my meaning so make sure that you've got all of your ducks in a row! If you do'nt know what I'm talking about - then get someone that DOES to install everything properly with a primary emphasis on safety!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-26-2007 03:31
As Henry said, if You are in over Your head, get profesional help before You get hurt. The welder will probably have a rating in KW and another in KVA. These are not the same thing, but are related. You will need to find a step up transformer that can handle more than the KVA rating. The rated KVA input will be at the rated output, not the max output. Can You post a pic of the spec. plate on the machine? This is more complicated than using a transformer for lighting, as the welder is an inductive load.
Parent - - By midnightmoon (*) Date 05-26-2007 10:06
PRI Volts 208/230, Pri Amp 13.6/12, 10, 60 Hz, KVA 4.0, SecVolts 20, Sec Amps 100, Duty Cycle 20%, Max OCV 29

This is the info on the front of the welder. I will look harder but thats all Ive seen on the machine. Just so I get my ducks in a row Im looking at a transformer that plugs int the wall at 120 then you plug the welder into that. It takes the 120 and makes it 240. Im aware I need to be sure the welder is jumped to 230 and not the 208. These transformers come in diffent watts is 3000 watts about right?

I will look for a plate. Anyone know where to jump the unit for 208 and 230? I took one side of the welder off but havent looked that hard to see where to change it from 208 to 230.

For the record Im very mechanical and extra safe ALWAYS. If I cant do it I find someone who can.

Thanks
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-27-2007 04:18
This transformer won't be something You "plug into the wall". It will need to handle the 4 KVA. Due to this being an inductive load, 3000 watts isn't enough even tho multiplying the volts and amps makes it look like 3000 would be enough. The extra is due to "power factor" which must be figured into any inductive load. This is why they tell You the machine needs 4 KVA. The 208/230 jumpers are usually where the power cord enters the machine. On some machines You hook the wires to different posts, others You move a tab from one position to another. A better solution would be to run a 230 V circut for the machine, or plug into a drier or range circut if available.
Parent - - By midnightmoon (*) Date 05-27-2007 13:12
Im a bad forum user I have another thread about wireing this welder. The power wire goes directly to the on off switch in the welder. I have found nothing except the above numbers anywhere on this machine. I believe from the date code that its from 1982. Could it be that it doesnt have a jumper and it can handle 208/230 the way it is. I have a 10/3 cable but it has 125v 30 amp ends that are molded into the cable. I have a electrician that can run the 220 to my garage but I need to test this welder before I spend the money to run the 220.

I just took a second look and I dont see anywhere that might be a jumper or a place to change it from 208 to 230

Thanks
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 05-28-2007 03:30
There might not be anything to change. 230 is much more common in the situations where a machine this size is used, they may just use it as is on 208 and set the voltage and wire speed knobs to where it works well. I would buy the recepticle and a length of 10-3 and just try it out [get power from the breaker box dryer circut or dryer outlet]. If You don't know how to wire it get somebody who does.
Parent - By midnightmoon (*) Date 05-28-2007 15:34
Im going to give it a test today off the dryer outlet. I have everything checked and double checked and Im ready to give it a shot.
Parent - By midnightmoon (*) Date 05-28-2007 18:14
I just started a new thread on my wire feed acting up. It worked okay with 120 but now it only works on the wire advance button on the welder and not the button on the handle.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Step up transformers