Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Using High Freak to fire up tig torch on pipe why????????
- - By Odie (*) Date 05-27-2007 00:40
im at a place right now that the client wants to use hi freak start on all their pipe.I think its because they dont want any ark marks outside the bevel ?? i was taught the method of strikeing the tig wire across the tungstein to fire up i dont understand this and ive been welding and xray b31.1 and b31.3 for over 20 years help is this like a hot start for beginners or what?? Odie
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-27-2007 01:20
Hello Odie, I would guess your client has concerns about having tungsten contamination of the weld metal. Even though you have been welding pipe forever and obviously having very good success doing it a particular way, your client in this case, has a preference to have it done using the hi-freq. method. With a hi-freq. start there is no possibility of any sort of tungsten contamination of the weld metal. Argueably you could still possibly end up with a really minimal amount of contamination by striking the tungsten off of the end of the rod when you make the type of start that you are used to.
     A hi-frequency start allows the arc to be started without ever touching the tungsten to the workpiece or the rod and thus avoids any possiblity of tungsten contamination of the work piece, unless you accidentally strike it with the rod or accidentally touch the tungsten to the work. There is a possibility that starting the arc by touching the filler rod between the tungsten and the work can still burn off a small bit of the tungsten and introduce this into the weld metal. This might be the concern that your particular client has with this arc starting method. Just a few thoughts to consider. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 05-27-2007 03:32
You try that hi freq start/stop, you'll like it. Especially on stainless, where you can stop the arc without getting oxygen contamination and keep the pretty colors going.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 05-27-2007 05:51
if you don't have a freq box then you got a prob....spend the money for it...soak it up in this job or walk away....it definitely could come in handy later especially if you see an aluminum job pop up.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-28-2007 05:32
Lloyd!

Trust me, if you've never used Hi freq start on pipe? (I know - most sites in the field use scratch start) Like everyone else mentioned, once you get used to it you'll step back and scratch your head wondering why you did'nt have it onsite before especially on stainless!!! ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 06-16-2007 19:40
Haveing just purchased one of these units myself I'm pissed that I didn't buy it sooner. The time saved on cleaning tungsten not to mention the chance of weld contamination was worth every penny. Paid for on one job. I hook it up now wether it is needed or not.
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 06-17-2007 00:18
Hot Start = 1, gotta love it.  Even stick welding, keeps you from making stubblies on your joint.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Using High Freak to fire up tig torch on pipe why????????